by Zach Perrier

The New York Times Magazine’s latest issue focused on the costs of higher education, especially in regards to financial aid. Supplementing the articles was an encompassing list of what the Magazine deemed the most economically diverse colleges and universities in the country, based on factors such as the freshman class Pell Grant share and endowment per student. Wooster, much to my surprise, was the top school in Ohio to make the list.

The College’s rates far surpassed the likes of Kenyon, Denison and Oberlin, the latter of which was mentioned in another article in that issue for immense shortcomings in accommodating low-income and first-generation applicants.

In a way, this gave me some sense of pride being here since I am a first-gen student. Wooster’s financial aid packages were a big draw for my application, and my scholarship was imperative to my choice in education. Truth be told, financial aid is the reason why I chose Wooster.

This issue of the Voice highlights the College’s commitment to fixing the maligned and subpar buildings on campus. But these changes often come with a price. I would not be surprised if tuition rises once again, if labor and hiring becomes a greater issue, if programs and majors get the ax. But in the moments after looking over the list from the Times, I think about the ways private colleges have dealt with the crux of giving scholarships, that being less extravagant alumni donations pouring in to fund some of the extensive renovations that take place on campus.

I then worry about the state of financial aid. Without it, I simply would not have gone here. I would not be surprised if a good number of other students with significant aid felt the same way. I also worry about future applicants who might turn away from Wooster and the precedent that sets for the makeup of the student body. It might just be anxiety for the future talking, but education access for all must stay relevant, even if Wooster is a private institution.

I will still feel a sense of pride in Wooster for the opportunities it gave me and the potential of opportunity for others in the same boat as me. I hope it stays that way.

Written by

Zach Perrier

Zach Perrier is a Viewpoints Editor for the Wooster Voice. He is from Mentor, Ohio and currently is a junior History major.