Every student at The College of Wooster has the opportunity to create a unique journey through a variety of avenues.† I can describe my experience at this institution in two words: colorful and transformative. It’s hard for me to take the time to reflect upon what I have accomplished in the past four years. We’re always encouraged to look forward to the future, to continue seeking the path of highest academic and social achievement. If you are a graduating senior like me, you might find it nostalgic to close your eyes and think about your college experience. You’ll find not only how much you have changed, but the new skills and insights you have picked up along the way.

Once I started participating in college theatrical productions, I knew I wanted to major in theatre and dance. Instead of becoming an attention-starving actor, I was bred as, what the department would like to call, an “artist as scholar.” Not only did I perform on the stage but I worked behind the scenes, studying and practicing how to become a stage manager. Little do people know, one of the most stressful jobs in theater is stage management; once the director sets up all aspects of the show, it is up to you to call the cues to run the show while coordinating with a multitude of artists and crew members. With my extensive experience in stage management, I was able to successfully produce a devised performance as part of my Independent Study. I don’t think you’ll find many theater and dance programs that allow you to move so fluidly between different facets of the performance and production and apply them for later use.

While I devoted my academic pursuits to studying theater and dance, I also made it a mission to become involved and connected with the rest of campus. This resulted in wearing a lot of hats by my senior year: President of Allies & Queers, Student Technology Assistant for the Office of Information Technology, co-editor for Arts & Entertainment at The Wooster Voice and a member of the fraternity Xi Chi Psi. Yes, it took a lot of effort to achieve a harmonious balance of time and energy. But it was all worth it. I further developed my skills as a leader of a gay-straight alliance, and I became more knowledgeable and well-versed in delivering technology support.

The transformation did not stop there. When I continued working as a section editor for the Voice last fall, I noticed that my writing had changed. Whatever I was typing was starting to make sense, I was whipping out the short and concise sentences needed to compose effective journalism. Something clicked. I was not always the strongest writer, but now I possess high caliber writing skills. Although the constant editing of chapters during I.S. caused me to doubt my newfound glory, I quickly rebounded and adapted to create an original piece of scholarly work.

But no transformation is complete without coming to a realization. Wooster ultimately indoctrinated me with the desire to remain proactive. I have been forever inspired to never stop learning, to meet new people, to explore unknown spaces, to ask the hard questions and to start the conversation and debate on a variety of topics. My journey at college may be nearly complete, but I’m excited about setting forth on a whole new adventure.