After the duration of more than a week, everything still seems unrealistic. As hours pass by, and day becomes night, my fear for my friends and family increases. For individuals on this campus and in America, Jan. 20 is not an ordinary presidential inauguration. Jan. 20 will be the day that America initiates a multi-strategic plan to retract decades of progress. Let me place my argument in the perspective of particular students at the College of Wooster.

As of February 27, 2015, the College of Wooster announced a partnership with the Noble Network of Charter Schools in Chicago, Il. The network grants students post-secondary educational opportunities if they qualify for the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, otherwise known as DACA; a bill that provides temporary relief from deportation. Former President Cornwell, the eleventh President of The College of Wooster, said, “We have been working with the Noble schools for a while and have been so pleased with the contributions their graduates make on our campus.”

He continued, “This partnership allows more of these bright, motivated and well-prepared DACA students to enroll here at Wooster.”

However, all of this will disappear next year under Donald Trump’s initiative to terminate Obama’s executive order for DACA students. The current DACA students on campus and in America will be stripped of an education in America because of their legal status.

Thus, all of these students will become undocumented and deported back to their country of birth.

You may ask, “What is wrong with being sent back to your country of birth?” For many DACA students, America is their home. These individuals were brought to America as children, so they developed and socialized like any other American. These children grew up watching cartoons such as Tom and Jerry, Jimmy Neutron and SpongeBob SquarePants. They also grew up hearing about the endless opportunities in America. As children, they were unable to directly interfere in making the decision to come to America without legal documentation. As a result of this action, all of these students are being condemned under American law.

As members of the Wooster community, it is vital we understand this issue. Whether you support a particular party or candidate, we are speaking about students being stripped of an educational opportunity. Try to imagine coming back next semester and not seeing certain friends in class. Paint yourself a picture of empty seats. Seats that are physically vacant, but occupied with endeavors, passions and aspirations from peers that were deported.

Despite having different political ideologies, I believe that we all agree on equal educational opportunities. Personally, I cannot imagine myself in this situation, yet that does not halt my passion and drive in helping these students. I encourage you all to support your peers on campus that are experiencing these hardships.

In the upcoming weeks, there will be instances to ask questions and hear directly from DACA students. As of last week, DACA students and allies began an advocacy campaign called WooUnited.

If you are interested in helping this campaign, please contact me directly. If you have opposing views, please feel free to contact me. I am more than willing to discuss this topic.

Eddie Muñoz, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at EMuñoz19@wooster.edu.