Rayan Dos Passos

Contributing Writer

I am here today to celebrate our institution, to look with hope towards the future of each independent mind and to hear and learn from those who have worked together to bring us to this point. As Rev. Willis Lord, D.D. once said, The College of Wooster “should not only be a place of all studies; it should also be a place of studies for all. ” Throughout the years, we have evolved, enhancing our resources, refining our strategies and adapting our message to meet the ever-changing needs of successive generations. In doing so, we’ve ensured that every student, staff member, faculty and alumni feels an enduring sense of belonging to the Wooster community.

This profound sense of unity is what binds us together, compelling us to engage and succeed through challenges as one cohesive force. Our shared purpose is clear: to prepare students to become leaders of character and influence in an interdependent global community. As we know, the last few years have brought significant changes to our society. The pandemic changed us, challenged us, divided us, and, in many ways, diminished our shared sense of belonging. That is why I’m here — to invite my peers to reflect on the importance of adapting our strategies to a new generation of Fighting Scots.

Indeed, trust is the keyword. Now more than ever, we must underscore the vital significance of this interpersonal skill. In this era, it’s imperative that we discover more adaptable and humanized methods to convey our message, fostering a profound sense of belonging.

While offering resources remains crucial, it’s even more important to build community, make eye contact and assure them that every little thing is going to be alright. The landscape has transformed significantly with the influence of social media, amplifying a sense of being unheard, and the pandemic has only accentuated this feeling.

Why do I matter among millions? After my experience playing in the Wooster World Cup for International Education Week, let me tell you that not one of us is more important than all of us together.

Unfortunately, if we don’t recognize the importance of building better institutional communication by fostering our community goals, students may not feel heard and may feel disconnected from their own power to be the change. This, naturally, decreases student engagement, academic performance, and belief in our mission, and in some cases, it can even lead to a decline in retention. Let me be clear: it’s time to remember that different generations require different strategies to ensure that Wooster is a place for all.

As my final thought, I want to express my profound gratitude for being accepted here three years ago. I’m immensely thankful for the opportunity to make my mom proud and, most importantly, to become a global leader dedicated to creating positive change in our communities. I hope this essay symbolizes how much Wooster has enabled me to take those steps toward my goals.

Written by

Zach Perrier

Zach Perrier is a Viewpoints Editor for the Wooster Voice. He is from Mentor, Ohio and currently is a junior History major.