by Twyla Roberts

When I first arrived at Wooster, I told my new friends that I would never join a sorority. I thought that being a part of Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) would result in shallow friendships and unnecessary drama. Thankfully, before my first Scot Spirit Day, I had a few weeks to make friends on my own. Much to my surprise, the same people I had befriended independently were all wearing Pi Kappa letters at the fair, and encouraged me to sign up for their organization. A common theme within their conversations with me appeared. None of my friends in FSL had wanted to sign up for a sorority when they first came to college. In fact, many of them shared a similar distaste for the traditional idea of a sorority girl. However, it was through their genuine connections to sorority members and the fortunate circumstance of finding FSL at Scot Spirit Day that my friends had chosen to join the group. 

This is my third year being part of a sorority at The College of Wooster. I was surprised to learn that this year, my organization was not allowed to hold an individual table at Scot Spirit Day. Instead, there would be one table representing the Inter-Greek Council with the names of all FSL groups on campus. This year, students who wished to learn more about or join an FSL group on campus had to attend a separate event, the Fraternity & Sorority Life Recruitment Fair. This event met on the back patio of Lowry on a later date than Scot Spirit Day. Thinking back to my younger self, I am almost certain that I would not have attended an event expressly named after Greek organizations. While it’s not helpful to speculate on what could or would have happened, I can confidently say that most of my current, most valuable friendships and experiences have occurred with my fellow Pi Kappas. Moreover, without the benefit of Scot Spirit Day, it is certain that I would not have the same Wooster experience. 

Moving forward, I am excited to meet the new members of Pi Kappa and eventually become a senior member of the organization. It is my hope that people like me, who might have strong opinions about their likes and dislikes, will continue to join fraternity and sorority groups at Wooster. To continue encouraging diversity within Wooster organizations, it is important that FSL should not be viewed as separate from all other clubs, and that all members of the Wooster community have the opportunity to experience the connection that I have with my sorority.

Zach Perrier

Zach Perrier is a Viewpoints Editor for the Wooster Voice. He is from Mentor, Ohio and currently is a junior History major.