Lillian Beach

Staff Writer

I’ve always loved anything scary and was fascinated with ghost stories and horror movies as a kid. I’ve carried that fascination with me into college. Having watched my fair share of horror movies, I ranked my top five favorites!

1. “Coraline”

As a kid, this was one of the only scary movies that really terrified me. The Other Mother and her button eyes were enough to give me nightmares. I absolutely love the stop-motion style of this film; it totally helps create a spooky ambiance. I’ve always thought of this movie as a kind of anti-Narnia, where Coraline finds the entrance to a disturbing and off-kilter world instead of an enchanting one. I watch this movie again and again to find myself wrapped up in its horrifying, yet somehow charming, world.

1. “The Conjuring”

I’ve seen this movie a couple of times and always enjoy it. The story follows a family who moves into a haunted house and hires a husband-wife team of demonologists, the Warrens, to investigate the paranormal occurrences within the house. This reminds me of “The Haunting of Hill House” as a movie. It’s the only movie in “The Conjuring” series I have seen, but I plan on watching more! I’d say this is a classic horror movie, great for watching with friends. 

1. “Super Dark Times”

This movie is a thriller and one of the most disturbing movies I’ve ever seen. It’s a dark coming of age story that follows two young boys who are best friends and who one day experience a traumatizing accident. The boys try to cover up what has happened, but things get more unhinged as the film goes on. The deterioration of their mental states progresses until it reaches a peak. The whole film is also shot in a way that makes the viewer feel uneasy. The ending leaves you thinking, though I’d be lying if I said I didn’t look up the explanation five minutes after the film ended. I wouldn’t recommend this movie for people who are uneasy with blood, but I think it’s definitely worth a watch.

1. “The Shining”

I am a huge Stephen King fan and, having read the book, I wanted to see the movie. This movie is great, the cinematography is amazing and Jack Nicholson does a fantastic job at playing Jack Torrance. This film does a good job at building up suspense and uses that to its advantage. This is another classic horror movie and one I would recommend to watch if you haven’t already.

1. “IT

Again, huge Stephen King fan. “IT” might be my favorite book, so naturally I had to see the 2016 movie. Something about a horror/coming of age movie combines everything I enjoy watching. The kids’ naivety and innocence coupled with the very adult themes of murder and fear make for a unique viewing experience. Pennywise is horrifying and the perfect monster. This movie had everything for me, and I would consider it my favorite horror film so far!

Welcome to The College of Wooster's Inter-Greek Council website! Here you will find out everything about our campus's Greek Life, including resources for the 2020 Rush season> We are so glad you are with us!