Can you tell us a little bit about your job? 

I am the event planner for the Center of Entrepreneurship at The College of Wooster and the founder and advisor for createHER. Most of my job involves bringing entrepreneurs to campus, raising the awareness on entrepreneurship in the community and organizing conferences and workshops for students. I also assist students to develop business plans and ideas. Overall, it’s advising students interested in entrepreneurship here on campus.

Why did you come back to Wooster after graduating?

I’ve been back for almost three years now. Honestly, it was my fiancé, Evan Pannell ’15, who suggested it. We met in college. I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do, and I’d been out of college for a year. We decided that maybe it’d be better for me to move back here to be closer to friends I made out here and Evan, of course. There was a great opportunity for me to be an intern for APEX — their first intern. I applied and got the job! I never imagined working in higher education, especially working in my alma mater. I was just excited to see where this opportunity would take me.

What were some of the organizations and programs you were involved in on campus?

My biggest thing was working for admissions; I worked there all four years. That definitely played a huge part in my day-to-day activities. But I was also involved in Proyecto Latino as well as L.A.U.N.C.H., the Center for Entrepreneurship’s club. There were other things, too. I think I mostly dipped into a lot of things. I also played ultimate frisbee for a little bit during my freshman year.

You mentioned createHER earlier on. What is it about and why did you find it necessary to have this initiative on campus?

I started createHER because when I started this position and learned what my job was going to entail and the description, I felt like something was missing on campus, especially from when I was a student here on campus, and also as a woman. I felt that while there are great organizations run by students, there was nothing run by a staff member. So I wanted to create something where all women, no matter their background, could all come together to learn skills and have resources that could help them develop their leadership abilities. 

I came up with createHER over the summer before I started here. The lack of women-owned businesses around had a huge part in that decision to start it. I feel like when women are in college, they don’t necessarily think about what they are passionate about. They tend to follow the path of a major or whatever is going to get them a job after college. Yes, that’s important, but then I feel like there are so many talented women here. So many women need that encouragement to go after their dreams, even if that doesn’t align with what they are studying. That’s why I wanted to create this.

What are the events coming up for createHER this semester?

We have two trips during spring break, one to Chicago and one to Cleveland. The Chicago trip is focused on alumnae in the workplace and the Cleveland trip is focused on female-owned businesses. A huge event is createHER Day on April 13,which is celebrating all the hard work we’ve done on campus this semester and bringing amazing female speakers on campus and sharing their stories.

What do you have to share with our student body?

I would say to find that balance between having friends, being a good student and finding who you are. Keep that balance, because I know it can be really hard when you’re going through your day to day tasks and you feel like your life is all over the place. I think also remembering who you are and staying true to that and the amazing opportunities you have by being here. Remember that there is so much more ahead that is exciting. 

Interview by Lesley Chinery, a Features Editor for the Voice (Photo courtesy Marina Rosales).