While this might be old news to many, the closing of Kittredge Dining Hall is something that still troubles me. In fact, the burdensome impacts of its closing have become more apparent with time. Because Lowry is now the only dining hall open to students, it is often overcrowded and the lines are very intimidating (especially on chicken tender days). Anyone who has experienced the lunch rush between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. knows that the crowds can sometimes feel unbearable.

I miss the more homestyle meals offered at Kitt, which appealed a lot more to me than the food from Lowry (to clarify, Lowry’s food is perfectly fine, but I feel that it’s made to feed a large amount of people rather than to be palatable). The dining hall of Kittredge had a warmer and more inviting atmosphere, in which I enjoyed eating dinner  with my friends. The yellow tables and harsh lighting of Lowry make dining a little more unpleasant, and I have found myself rushing to get through my meals so I can get out of the cluttered space.

When Kittredge was open, I looked forward to eating lunch and dinner there with my friends as a peaceful break from a stressful day of homework and studying. One of the aspects of college that I love most is the lack of monotony — every day is different, and we have the freedom to choose how our days are structured. However, if I want to have a sit-down meal, I have to go to the same place every day and struggle to get through the massive crowds of people.

In my freshman year here, I felt that Kitt was an important part of the campus culture; if students wanted to have a nice and comfortable  mealtime, they had the opportunity at Kitt. The connections students had with the staff were apparent to anyone who dined there. It was a place where I would go to connect with my peers, and while this is possible at Lowry, it’s certainly much more difficult. Simply finding an empty table is a struggle in and of itself; actually being able to hear what the person across the table is an even bigger struggle.

While I realize that this is a pretty meaningless complaint in the grand scheme of things, I really wish the College’s administration would consider the problems that come with having only one dining hall. More than anything, I feel that Kittredge was more representative of Wooster’s values than Lowry. It had a more homey and welcoming vibe, whereas Lowry feels very impersonal. Kittredge helped me feel more at home here at Wooster — meals are such an important social part of everyday life. If I were a first-year now, having to eat with the mass of students every day, it would be much more difficult to feel like I am home. The future of Kittredge Dining Hall seems to be tenuous at best — I can only hope that Kitt will be reopened before I graduate.

Hannah Horcha, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at HHorcha21@wooster.edu.