From the moment I woke up, I knew that today was going to be special. At 8:30 a.m., my Super Mario Brothers radio alarm clock played my favorite song: the theme song from the Mary Tyler Moore Show! As soon as I left my special racecar bed with my Bug’s Life blanket draped around my neck like a superman, I knew that, just like the protagonist of that classic sitcom, I, too, would make it after all.

After giving my two goldfish, Nellie and Oliver, a super special morning dance routine to our favorite song (I like to think that they dance along in their own special little goldfishey way), I promptly dressed myself in my favorite outfit: a purple velvet jumpsuit I got for Pentecost last year! Whenever I wear it, it makes me think of my Aunt Esther. It smells just like her!

After I got up, I went to my usual morning vespers service at Hope Lutheran church, right down the road. As usual, I was the only one there, but even all alone, I can feel Jesus’ love just radiating through me.

There was a very happy sun who smiled on us all day. He was very bright (but not too bright!) and let us have fun and appreciate the outdoors. After naptime, I went for a walk by the pond with two very good friends of mine. We talked about how much we appreciate one another, and we even saw a baby ducky! We couldn’t find the mommy ducker, but the little guy looked like he knew what he was doing down there in the water. Hey, it’s his home, not ours, and by gosh if we should try and tell him how to live there!

After that, I took my youth dialogue group, comprised of youngsters from both sides of the Blood and Crips gang war, to an ice cream dinner. I know what you’re thinking—ice cream? For dinner? Wacky! Well, we had a pretty intense discussion about the color green today, and the kids all had some good cries, so I figured what better way to put a smile back on their little multi-ethnic faces than taking them out for a tasty treat?! Ya know, it’s little things like this that really tie people together, even if they have differences!

When we walked out of that Terra Haute, Indiana Baskin Robbins, I saw the prettiest baby bird singing a song, just for us. I could swear that the fellow was smiling at us! You can keep your Black-Eyed Peepers, I prefer the original hip hop moguls: real spring peepers!

After I dropped the lil’ guys off at their houses (which are all very nice, so keep it to yourself, mister!) in my 1994 Honda station wagon, I took a few minutes to try and evangelize the poor souls going in and out of the local liquor store. Those poor people think they need some goofy juice to feel happy about themselves, but I thank God and Jesus every day that I have so much to offer myself and the world that I just can’t help but hug myself! Although of course, it is much better to give those hugs to people who need them. That’s why I like to go around campus to give hugs to people who look like they could use one, whether they want it or not — maybe you’ll be next!

Though he may put on a cynical facade, Dan Hanson enjoys frolicking, skipping and raising abandoned puppies. He can be reached for contact at Ryan’s Buffet.