Bob Dylan once said, “The times, they are a changin’.” In 10 days I will be graduating college ó leaving behind Wooster, friends, professors, an academic environment ó everything that has been my sense of place for the past four years.† Sometimes it feels like a million doors are closing, and when they do, I am going to step outside and into the real world ó a world that includes bills, jobs, groceries, rent and a host of other slightly terrifying responsibilities.

In 10 days my world will change and transition into a different phase.† I started out this academic year thinking I was ready to leave Wooster, I was ready to leave behind the gym (or lack thereof), the sometimes unaccommodating nature of the administration, the lack of transportation -ó the list goes on.† As the year is coming to a close, however, I’m realizing that despite my qualms with the College, it’s the people at Wooster I’ll miss the most.† Even more frightening than making it on my own in the real world is the thought of losing touch with these people.

As the French journalist Anatole France said, “All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves.” Despite my longing for a change ó a shift into a new and exciting lifestyle as a “young professional” or my sadness in leaving my friends ó I hope that the class of 2011 and I have made our marks on The College of Wooster.† A part of us will always be at Wooster whether it be through our academic achievements, our Independent Study theses, a music program, a sports team or a Greek group ó each of us, largely due to the novelty of the Wooster experience, will leave behind a part of ourselves when we graduate next Monday.

It was almost four years ago that I was a first-year student moving piles of bricks for an orientation service project.† The bricks we were moving were the College’s supply of Wooster, Ohio bricks ó the ones you see throughout the Oak Grove. I was informed while moving the bricks that these are the bricks students are infamous for taking upon graduation from the College.† Apparently, it’s a rite of passage. I like to think that I’ve come full circle.† I started my first-year contributing to the bricks and now having made it through Wooster’s rigorous academic schedule and Junior and Senior I.S., it’s time for me to take my brick, and move on to bigger and better things. In its place, I’ll leave a piece of myself.