During spring break, a viral video emerged online.† Rebecca Black’s “Friday” became the joke of the month and the topic of many conversations.† Everyone of all ages felt it was okay to make fun of Black’s lyrics and ridicule this young girl for following her dreams. I think it’s hilarious when people say, “Isn’t this song so funny? It’s so dumbÖ† Wait, play it again.” It seems that people are obsessing over this song because it’s so “bad.” However, when “Friday” reached number 45 on top iTunes downloads, I think it was safe to say people love this “crap.”† I think everyone needs to take a look at his or her own music selections before making fun of this girl.† Many will see that the tracks they are listening to right now are just as bad as, if not worse than, “Friday.”

One of the most ridiculed lines in “Friday” is when Black is about to get into a convertible and asks, “Which seat should I take?” Black is 13 years old. In a car there are options: front or back? Sit next to best friend or crush? Clearly she has to make a decision and is just confused.

Katy Perry, on the other hand, is one of the top-selling artists in the country right now.† She has a song called “Firework.”† The song begins with Katy asking a question as well.† She asks, “Do you ever feel like a plastic bag?” If you don’t understand what that means, don’t worry, she elaborates: “Drifting through the wind/ wanting to start again.”† Still don’t understand?† Me neither. When everyone is like, “Katy, what the hell?” she tries another question: “Have you ever felt like a house of cards?”† What? Stop it. No one knows what you’re talking about.† At least Black asks a question that is relevant.

People seem to find it obnoxious when Black gives a play-by-play of her morning routine, “Gotta be fresh/gotta go downstairs/gotta have my bowl/gotta have my cereal.” Yes this may be a little irritating, but it is nowhere near as bad as Bruno Mars’s play-by-play of his weekend plans in his most current hit, “Lazy Song.” Bruno says, “I’ll be lounging on the couch, just chilling in my Snuggie, click to MTV so they can teach me how to dougie.”† How is this song number 14 on iTunes? Mars continues his song by explaining how he’s going to find a really nice girl, have some really nice sex and she’s going to scream, “This is great.”† At least Black’s plans for the day make sense. It may not be important that she is eating cereal before school, but at least it’s believable. Mars, however, is sorely mistaken if he thinks he is going to get laid after “dougie-ing” in a Snuggie.† It won’t happen, Bruno.† Stop lying.

Black is just an innocent girl trying to make a name for herself as a pop artist.† With the song “Friday,” I think it’s safe to say Black’s talent is about the same caliber as most of the artists currently topping the charts and making millions. Black is all about having wholesome fun, unlike Rhianna, who is playing with chains and whips all weekend, or Ke$ha, who is in a dirt and glitter-covered club drinking Kool-aid. Black just wants her weekend to be “fun, fun, fun,” while she is, “partying, partying, yeah.” We should all just let her be.

Grainne Carlin is a contributor for the Voice. She can be reached for comment at GCarlin11@wooster.edu.