Sports Editor Mike Haggerty recently talked to Maaz Khan ’11, a captain for the Wooster Cricket Team. Khan led the Scots last week in their record breaking match against a local community team. The match broke the United States Collegiate record for attendance at a cricket match.

MH: Congratulations on breaking the attendance record and giving the College of Wooster students and alumni a homecoming match everyone is sure to remember for a very long time. How did it feel to know† that the Wooster Cricket team recieved so much support from the college campus?

MK: I feel great and honored because of all the hard work I have put in over the last two years turned out to be fruitful. Taking cricket club to the next level and increasing its popularity on campus and among students. We entertained the audience, won the game in the end and broke the collegiate attendance record.

MH: Where do you see the cricket team going in the next few years now that they have captured the support of the campus community?

MK: The future of the Wooster cricket team lies in the hands of the underclassmen whom I have set the ground-work for. It’s in their hands to carry out the tradition and I feel positive about that. The fact that I was able to recruit a couple of American students for the team† last year shows how much cricket awareness is growing across campus.

MH: How did you get started playing cricket and when did you decide that you wanted to play for Wooster on the college level?

MK: I started playing cricket at the age of six. Back home its part of the culture and common to be a cricket fanatic and follow cricket heroes. Like any other child I used to play cricket in the streets and† roads whenever possible. I represented my high school cricket team as a cricket captain and played cricket for clubs back home. Since my first year I’ve been playing cricket here at Wooster and sophomore year I took charge and changed the entire structure of the team.

MH: What can members of the campus community do to help support the Wooster cricket team?

MK: The College of Wooster represents an element of diversity and this element is present in the Wooster Cricket Team. I think members of the community should play cricket more often with the College Cricket Team. It would build a good relationship between the community and students.