When I sat down to watch Pirate Radio, I wasnít sure what to expect. It had been marketed as a Philip Seymour Hoffman film, and from experience those were dark, depressing and heavy. However, the second the movie began, I realized how wrong I was. Any movie that opens with The Kinks and graduates to a bunch of awkward men and one lesbian on a boat broadcasting radio is bound to be a comedy. With a cast including Nick Frost, Bill Nighy, Tom Sturridge and Jack Davenport, how could I have been expecting anything else? It should be known that this movie is no great cinematic endeavor; in fact, it barely has a plot, so for those looking for a deep film with a cohesive plot, ìPirate Radio” is not for you. But if youíre looking for some great comedy and an extraordinary soundtrack, this movie just might be up your alley.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman steps out of his typical roles and takes on a very Jack Black-esque role as The Count of Cool, the only American DJ on the boat. While his performance is memorable, he is not, as the trailer for this film would have us believe, the main character. Instead, the film follows Carl (Tom Sturridge) who, after being expelled from boarding school, is sent by his mother to live with his Godfather, Quinten (Bill Nighy) on a boat where a group of men broadcast rock and roll radio over British Airwaves in a time where rock and roll was all but banned from the mainstream radio. There are a few plot points, namely a government official (Kenneth Branagh) and his legal goon (Jack Davenport) trying to bring the station down, or Carlís search for his father. However, the majority of the film revolves around the strange and highly comedic antics of the Radio Rock DJs.

During the movie, I found myself laughing almost nonstop, pausing at some points only to breathe. The filmís comedic high points† include, but are not limited to, a rivalry that leads to a very involved game of chicken, one of the greatest bachelor party scenes known to film culminating in a 17-hour marriage, a man who barely says two words, including when he broadcasts on live radio, an incredibly dimwitted man who doesnít know the difference between Easter and Christmas, an early morning DJ who has been on the boat for seven months and, until Carl boards the boat, has never been seen by any of the other members on board and a very inappropriately named government official.

I have never been in a theater with so few people and so much laughter, but even better than the filmís comedy was the soundtrack. With songs from The Kinks, The Seekers, Jimi Hendrix, The Turtles, The Who and many more, how could you really go wrong? Though this film had very little positive press when released, I feel that it is the perfect movie for anyone wanting to let go, have a good time, enjoy some great music and have several good laughs. I thoroughly enjoyed watching Pirate Radio and would recommend it to anyone looking for a good time.