After watching Guy Ritchieís take on Sherlock Holmes, one thing is certain: This is definitely not Sir Arthur Conan Doyleís version of the story. At least, I donít think so. Iíve never actually read the original stories, but this film definitely didnít feel like it was based on the novels from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. And Robert Downey Jr. definitely didnít look like the lanky pipe-smoking gent most people think of when they hear the name Sherlock Holmes.

It seems unnecessary to go into great detail about Downeyís performance, as he very rarely disappoints. He just seems to have an inherent understanding of each character he plays. If there are any problems with this film, they are certainly not a result of him.

The film is a tad long, running two hours and 14 minutes. That being said, I very rarely found the movie to be boring. It was fast-paced with enough action and a witty script that kept me entertained. Not to mention, it looked and sounded amazing, with a clever soundtrack and opulent sets that truly made it feel as though I had been transported to nineteenth century London. There certainly were slower parts of the film, and I wasnít entirely interested in the plotline involving the villain, Lord Blackwood (Mark Strange).† Blackwood was definitely the most boring aspect of the film, but certainly not dull enough to derail the whole movie.

And although the complex mystery may have seemed a bit alienating to some viewers, I found it to be quite interesting. It is true that without a thorough walkthrough of each incident and piece of evidence I would have been totally lost, but I never expected to understand it all in the first place. After all, as a character Sherlock Holmes is supposed to be more astute than the average viewer. I enjoyed seeing him break down every scene and explain how each small event lent itself to the larger mystery being solved. It was sort of like a flashier, more complex version of ìOceanís Eleven,” minus George Clooney and the Belagio, of course.

As far as the relationship between Irene Adler (Amy McAdams) and Downey went, I didnít think it was all that important to the film either. What mattered more was the relationship between Holmes and his sidekick Dr. Watson (Jude Law). The chemistry between the two leading men was immediately palpable. The clever banter between the characters kept things light and it truly did seem as though they shared a deep and loving bond with one another.

Besides, when was the last time a female love interest was actually important and not easily replaceable in a huge blockbuster franchise? McAdams will most likely come and go, but the relationship between Watson and Holmes will stick around for many sequels to come.

From what it looks like, there will probably be a few more of these Holmes movies made throughout the coming years. And that means that any minor glitches, from a convoluted plotline, to an unexciting villain, and a drab leading lady, can be fixed in time for the next installment. Until then, this chapter of Sherlock Holmes will do just fine.