As you wait in the endless line at Momís for your daily cup of coffee, something shiny catches your eye. You look to your left and see a variety of snacks staring at you from the shelves. You think about how a big bag of cheddar Chex Mix would taste and before you know it, your hand is reaching out and grabbing it. You walk away from the long line, ditching your much anticipated coffee, and head for the nearest exit. Whether you know it or not, you have just committed an act of theft.

Like many colleges across the nation,† Wooster is dealing with a rise in stealing. One of the most common examples were students having their books stolen at the end of last semester, rendering them unable to sell them back for a partial refund. Students are also getting away with taking large items, like desks and dressers. Bissman alone had over $20,000 dollars of stolen furniture just last year. But where does the College see one of the biggest areas of concern? Momís Truck Stop.

Many students see exposed snacks and take them without paying for them. Not only is this stealing, but it also makes it difficult for the people working there to keep track of inventory for that month. Although threats until now may seem empty, if theft at Momís continues to occur, the College will shut the establishment down for good. Even that last statement may seem like an empty threat, but trust me, I can say from personal experience ó it is not.

For those of you who havenít placed a name with an incident yet, I was involved in ìshenanigans” at Momís recently. No, Iím not a klepto, but the punishment that I faced was almost severe enough to keep me from going abroad this semester. Not only did I create issues for the school and security, but also the people working to serve the rowdy crew of students.

I recently had the opportunity to spend some time volunteering with the Momís crew. From the moment I got there to the moment I left, we were constantly in motion doing things to make your experience better. Whether it was re-stocking the fridges or preparing quesadillas, the employees at Momís have their routine down to a science. Their job is hard enough and having to patrol the snacks to make sure kids arenít stealing is too much to ask. So to Connie and the Momís crew, this is to you. I am sorry.

Hopefully the next time you find yourself in line at Momís and that chocolate bar is calling your name, youíll keep your hands to yourself and cough up 60 cents in flex dollars. Not only will it keep you out of trouble, but it will also make things easier for people serving you. After what theyíve had to put up with, they deserve it.

This is Laney Austinís first editorial for the Voice. She can be reached for comment at LAustin11@wooster.edu.