Category Archives: News Briefs

Weber House broken into during winter break

Security and Protective Services (SPS) found that Weber House had been broken into and residents later reported that their items had been stolen (Photo by Claire Montgomery ’20).

Claire Montgomery

Senior News Writer

On Jan. 14, Director of Security and Protective Services (SPS) Steve Glick sent an email to the campus community about the break-in of a campus house. The building was later identified by house members as Weber House. “Several student rooms were entered and items were taken,” Glick stated. “The incident is being investigated by SPS and the police department. There are no suspects at this time.”

When asked how the break-in was discovered, Glick said, “Officers saw a light on in one of the small houses and upon checking found that someone had gone through the house, damaging a door. There were no obvious signs of entry.” Jason Cerniglia ’20, a resident of Weber House, said, “The members of Weber House heard about the break-in upon arriving back to campus on Sunday, Jan. 12, when a resident entered the house that afternoon.” Cerniglia added that the break-in was reported on either Dec. 20 or 21.

“The responding officer believed that an incident did occur, but from his/her perspective, no items of value were stolen,” Cerniglia stated. Jacob Stewart ’20 commented on the initial response of the officer who discovered the incident. “The responding officer did not file a police report when the incident occurred,” he said, “because [they] believed it would be too difficult for the members of the house to determine what had been taken.” Stewart added that the officer filed the incident as “informational” and that “given this designation, the break-in was not flagged by the system and the Chiefs of Security were never notified.” However, Stewart emphasized that they did not fault Glick or Associate Director Joe Kirk. “We as a house found Steve Glick and Joe Kirk to be helpful through the process,” Stewart said. “We do not want to speak for either of them, but the negligence exhibited by the responding officers were not taken lightly by Steve and Joe, or the house.” Jacob Beuter ’20 reiterated Kirk’s helpfulness, saying, “Joe Kirk inspected the property and placed latches onto multiple basement windows.” Beuter said the culprit likely entered the house through a basement window that could be pushed open from outside.

Other members of the house including Mick Appel ’20 and Seth Burke ’21 reported that out of the 10 house members, at least six had items stolen. Although they cannot go into the specifics, miscellaneous objects such as clothing items and change jars were taken.

When asked about the morale of the house, member Clark Morin ’20 stated, “There is obviously a level of anxiety involved given the incident, but the members of the house are coping with the situation well.”

In Glick’s initial email, he finished by reminding the members of campus to “make sure all doors shut securely behind you, report suspicious activity, do not keep any doors propped open, secure first floor windows and report any nonworking doors or windows to Facilities or SPS.” Moreover, “residents of small houses can request a security review of their houses by contacting” Kirk or Glick.

 

Two recent incidents of arson under investigation

Ian Benson

News Editor

Early April 7, a fire was discovered at the Gault Admissions Center, damaging the front doors of the building. This was the second incident in little over a week, with a fire started near Kauke Hall early March 30.

The Kauke fire was reported by the custodial staff and the Admissions Center fire set off the alarm. In both cases, members of the College’s Security and Protective Services extinguished the flames. Both incidents caused minimal damage.

Also on March 30, two fires were set in the backyards of private homes around the city of Wooster. The incidents are currently under investigation by the Wooster Police Department and the State Fire Marshall, with the College cooperating in the process.

“Once someone starts burning things and destroying property, that crosses a line,” said Director of Security and Protective Services Steven Glick.

“Arsons are always tough,” Glick said. “They’re just about as bad as burglaries and have a very low clearance rate. There’s usually technical stuff that goes with them, but the investigations tend to take a while.”

This is not the first time the College has dealt with arson, though it is the first time in recent memory they have involved buildings. A few years ago, a series of dumpster fires were started, one case being close to a building. “Some think fires like that are fun to burn, but they’re pretty serious,” Glick said. “The buildings are brick but the roofs aren’t and if the wind catches things, then there’s a serious problem. That’s why we have to go through a whole permit process for the bonfires we have, to make sure they’re controlled.”

Security and Protective Services is asking for information regarding both incidents, though they expect there to be more information about the Admissions fire. “Considering the time and location of the Kauke fire, no one might have seen that,” Glick said. “But over at Admissions, it’s a high traffic area with people coming and going from parties. Somebody might have seen someone or something and didn’t realize the connection.”

“Unless the person that did this hit it at exactly the right time, someone saw them,” Glick said. Also, Glick emphasized that students should keep an ear out for any information that might be related to the fires. “Somebody beyond the person who did this probably knows it. A student might overhear a conversation someplace or might think back to one of those two evenings and remember someone standing around there. It may be nothing more than a general description, but that is something.”

To report any information about either incident, please contact Security and Protective Services at x2590.

Procedures for carrel, single room selections change for next year

Kim Schmitz

News Editor

Many students have wondered how the College’s largest student body in recent history is going to be accommodated next year. Senior study carrels and single dorm rooms are some of the expected space shortages. To fairly assign these spaces, lottery systems similar to the general room draw took place on Sunday.

This is the first year that students were able to select their own carrels. In years past, rising seniors filled out an application in which they indicated which areas they preferred; options were limited to the four levels of the Andrews and Gault libraries.

This year, students were assigned a draw number and attended a selection event where they chose the specific carrel they wanted. This provided the opportunity for groups of friends to select carrels near each other, as Mark Christel, director of libraries, pointed out.

Additionally, approximately 55 new carrels will be added to the libraries for student use next year, bringing the total number of carrels to around 400. Some of the new carrel locations include the second floor of Andrews, the second floor of Gault, Andrews Lower 2, and Timken. Because of this addition, so far every student who wanted a study carrel has been accommodated.

The single dorm room selection procedures were changed this year because of the limited number of one-person dorm rooms on campus. In past years, residents filled out an application for a single and did not participate in the room draw lottery.

This year, singles were assigned based on the lottery numbers students received for regular room draw. They attended an event earlier this week, where, similar to the regular housing draw, they were able to select rooms in the order of their lottery numbers. No application was required to take part in the event, so students with the higher lottery numbers were in the best position to get a single.

Once all the available rooms were assigned, students who did not get a single could put their names on a waitlist. They were also encouraged to participate in the regular room draw this week.

At the regular room draw, only one big change was made from last year. Previously, a group of two students were able to select a triple with the intention of keeping the third spot empty, if space permitted. Similarly, one student could acquire a double room. This often occurred if one roommate would be gone for one semester but not both. This year, however, the room must be filled by the correct number of students. All future residents must be present at the time the room is chosen.

Off-campus housing is another area that has been discussed more this year than in the past. Very few students choose this option every year, and the few that do generally either are seniors or live in Wooster with their families.

One reason that off-campus housing is somewhat unpopular is that it has the potential to deduct from students’ financial aid packages. In working with students and the Financial Aid department, Krista Kronstein, director of residence life, has only encountered this to be a problem if students receive need-based aid. Other types of aid, such as merit scholarships, are not usually affected.

If a student does receive need-based aid, they are not discouraged from looking into off-campus housing. Rather, they are encouraged to reach out to Financial Aid as soon as possible in order to determine what it would mean for his or her individual package.

BITE-SIZED NEWS: 12/7/12

STATE

Ohio shoots down conservative  “heartbeat bill”

On Nov. 27, House Bill 125, otherwise known as Ohio’s “heartbeat bill,” was dropped after a decision was made by Republican Senate President Tom Niehaus to keep the bill from going to a vote on the floor of the Ohio State Senate.

The bill proposed to ban abortions after the fetus has its first heartbeat, which typically occurs around six to eight weeks into pregnancy. Had the bill passed, it would have made Ohio’s abortion laws the most conservative in the country. According to Democratic Senator Nina Turner, the “heartbeat bill” would have “essentially made abortions illegal in the state of Ohio.”

Source: miamistudent.net

 

 

NATIONAL

Suspected serial killer commits suicide in custody

Israel Keyes, a man arrested and charged in the murder of an Alaskan barista, killed himself while in custody. Authorities say that Keyes had also confessed to at least seven other killings, not knowing his victims but looking for them in abandoned and secluded places. Keyes’ killings stretched across the country, including two in Vermont, four in Washington state and one somewhere on the East Coast. He was finally charged with the killing of Samantha Koenig, and had he been convicted, he could have faced the death penalty.

 

INTERNATIONAL

Clashes outside Egypt presidential palace in Cairo

Protesters clashed with police outside of President Mohammed Morsi’s house over a rushed drafting of a new constitution and Morsi’s recent extension of his powers. Many of the protestors chanted phrases similar to those directed against former president Hosni Mubarak during the February 2011 uprising. Tear gas was fired by police after the protesters managed to breach a barbed wire fence surrounding the palace, but the police retreated, allowing the protestors to get closer to the walls. Eighteen people were injured, though none seriously, in the brief bout of violence. Sizeable crowds of protestors have also turned out in Alexandria.

 

 

BITE-SIZED NEWS: 9/21/12

NATIONAL

2012 Hottest Year on Record for the United States

The past eight months of this year have been the warmest recorded of any in the US. Since record-keeping began in 1895, this year rated as the third-hottest summer, according to the U.S. National Climate Data Center’s report Monday.

While the average temperature in August was 74.4 degrees Fahrenheit, which is only the 16th hottest on record, the nation is averaging four degrees Fahrenheit above average for the year.

Ohio has the greatest record high to record low ratio, with 49 record high temperatures to every record low. These record high temperatures have also been accompanied by severe drought.

Sources: cnn.com, cleantecnica.com.

 

INTERNATIONAL

132 Inmates escape from Mexican prison on the border

Mexican authorities reported that 132 inmates escaped from a jail in northern Mexico. The escape has spurred a search near the border by federal police and soldiers. The prisoners fled one by one from a social rehabilitation center. The facility is minimum-security and the inmates were able to escape through a seven-foot-long tunnel. 86 of the inmates were federal prisoners and 46 were in jail on local charges.

In December of 2010, 153 prisoners escaped from a nearby prison located in Nuevo Laredo, TX. In this case, 41 guards were charged with aiding the inmates in the escape. Gangs often try to break members out of prison.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection have taken action, placing officers and agents on alert in the area, according to an official of Homeland Security.

Sources: cnn.com, cbsnews.com.

 

STATE

Third Ohioan dies from West Nile virus complications

Tuesday morning an 80-year-old man in southwest Ohio died from complications of the West Nile virus. This is the third statewide death resulting from West Nile this year. Earlier in 2012, a 76-year-old man in Hamilton County and a 87-year-old man in Cuyahoga County also died from complications of the West Nile virus. 79 human cases of the virus have been reported this year in the state. Officials are calling this summer one of the worst for the West Nile infection in the state and across the nation. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, a total of 2,636 cases have been reported in the nation this year, with 118 deaths.

Source: ohio.com/news

 

STATE

Obama emphasizes fair trade during stop at Columbus

During his two campaign stops in Ohio on Monday, President Barack Obama discussed efforts to combat unfair trade policies in China that hurt U.S. manufacturers. These policies specifically harm automakers and suppliers, including the 54,200 Ohioans who work directly with the automotive industry. Obama spoke to thousands in Cincinnati and Columbus explaining that his administration has taken steps toward enforcing the World Trade Organization’s ruling. The organization alleged that illegal subsidies were placed on automobiles and parts. Obama pointed out that this is the second action aimed at protecting manufacturing jobs within recent months. He said, “We’re going to export more product and we’re going to outsource fewer jobs.

Source: the-daily-record.com

STATE

Killer slashes bartender’s throat, prosecutor says

Bartender Ann McSween was beaten and choked before her throat was slashed by her alleged killer, Joseph Thomas, according to prosecutors this morning at the man’s capital murder trial.

He is also accused of raping McSween multiple times. Thomas, 26, faces the death penalty in the Thanksgiving 2010 slaughter of the popular bartender at the former Mario’s Lakeway Lounge in Mentor-on-the-Lake. Thomas is charged with aggravated murder, kidnapping, rape, aggravated robbery and tampering with evidence.

Source: cleveland.com

 

 

 

 

 

BITE-SIZED NEWS, April 20th, 2012

INTERNATIONAL

El Salvador has first murder-free day in three years

No one was murdered in El Salvador on Saturday, April 14, making it the country’s first homicide-free day in nearly three years. The Central American country is plagued by violent drug gangs.

“After years when the number of murders reached alarming levels of up to 18 per day, we saw not one homicide in the country,” President Mauricio Funes said in a statement released on Sunday. The murder-free day was the first recorded since leftist Funes took office in June 2009.

According to Reuters, at the beginning of Funes’ term, the country had an average of 12 murders a day.

According to the United Nations data, El Salvador has recently tallied a homicide rate of 66 per 100,000 people — one of the highest in the world (reuters.com).

 

NATIONAL

Strike at Hostess threatens Ho Hos and Twinkies

Hostess Brands, the ever-reliable provider of Twinkies and Wonder Bread, heads to court this coming Tuesday (April 24) in an effort to throw out its union contracts.

The company is asking the bankruptcy court in White Plains, N.Y., to tear up labor agreements, which would, among other things, allow Hostess to change how it funds union pensions.

The company filed for bankruptcy in January, its second time filing for bankruptcy since 2004.

Both management and the unions agree that the company is unlikely to survive a strike (money.cnn.com).

 

INTERNATIONAL

Norweigian killer Breivik pleads not guilty

The Norwegian anti-Islamic gunman who massacred 77 people, Anders Behring Breivik, said in court on Tuesday, April 17, that his shooting spree and bomb attack was “sophisticated and spectacular” and that he would do the same thing again.

Breivik, 33, pleaded not guilty and said he was defending his country by setting off a car bomb that killed eight people at government headquarters in Oslo last July, then shooting another 69 individuals at a youth summer camp organized by the ruling Labour Party.

“The July 22 attacks were preemptive attacks to defend the Norweigian people,” said Breivik (reuters.com).