Morgan Hunter

Contributing Writer

It can always be a little tough starting a new school year. Luckily, the Wooster Activities Crew (WAC) is around to bring the party! This past Saturday, Sept. 7, WAC held its annual Party on the Green, providing an opportunity for all students on campus to take a break and enjoy live music and time with their friends. Couldn’t sneak away and join the party? Here is the full recap:

Party on the Green opened its doors at 6 p.m., welcoming a small yet incredibly eager crowd. Once students checked in at the WAC table, the function was theirs to enjoy! This year, in addition to the fan-favorite inflatable obstacle courses, students enjoyed face paint and henna tattoos. As always, the WAC popcorn station was in motion the entire evening. Arriving early certainly paid off, as students were able to beat the lines and enjoy WOO91 deejaying the event.

Soon enough, the opener Emi Jeen and her drummer Ryan Stevenson took the stage. Hailing from Saint-Jean-Port-Joli, Québec, Jeen confided in her audience that it has been a dream come true playing in the United States, claiming she finally feels like she has “made it.” Jeen entertained audiences with her classic alt-pop style and a passionate cover of “Creep,” which left students enamored with her energy.
“I think [it] definitely ramped up at sunset, and by then there were plenty of people grooving along with Emi Jeen,” said Hannah Reinicke ’26.

Ada Lapham ’27 also had an exceptional experience. “After her performance, she went and stood in the corner and waved at us until we got the memo to go and talk to her,” Lapham said. “She was so incredibly generous with her time.”

Around 9 p.m., the headlining band The Greeting Committee made their entrance. From Overland Park, Kansas, the band shared their indie rock stylings with the campus community, entrancing both long-time fans and new supporters.

“My 17-year-old self would’ve loved it, and I have to say my current self enjoyed it just as much,” exclaimed Emma Anderson ’26, a fan of the band. Gianna Hayes ’26 enjoyed listening to their “favorite song.”

“I had been really hoping for [it], so when it came on I got so hyped,” Hayes said. “I’m so thankful for the opportunity to hear such talented artists on this campus.”

With an event of this size, there are always many moving parts behind the scenes. Jack Freer ’26, WAC’s music director, is known for the passion he puts into these events, but there are other unsung heroes: the dutiful volunteers. From early in the morning to very late at night, the student volunteers have been and will always be the backbone of Party on the Green. “The organizers of the event did a fantastic job anticipating problems before they occurred,” volunteer Natalie Barranco ’26 said. “It was a different experience for me, but I definitely would consider working more events in the future.”

While it certainly had its hurdles to overcome, this year’s Party on the Green was nevertheless a success. “It was amazing to see other students dancing and singing together,” Anderson said, perfectly summarizing why this type of event is so important to this campus. “Live music is a special coming together of people and to get to do that on campus I think is really special.”

We can’t wait to see what you do next, WAC!