Thomas Pitney

Sports Editor

As the Thomas’ Tiers era comes to a close, I would like to take a moment and reflect on this year-long controversial section of the Voice. The idea for the tiers was born last summer while thinking about ways to increase student interest in the newspaper. Ultimately, I hoped that the section would draw attention for two to three weeks before losing steam. However, with each passing week of drawing the ire of students, faculty and staff, Thomas’ Tiers surpassed my wildest expectations, even gaining a life of its own.

First off, I would like to clarify that every edition of Thomas’ Tiers has reflected my genuine opinions and preferences. The rumors that I make up the rankings to purposely annoy people are categorically false. Food, sports and movies are, by their very nature, subjective topics. Since everyone has varying views on these subjects, I did not need to invent my preferences to spark debate. Though I knew that sharing my opinions would result in disagreement, even I was surprised by the extent to which I am out of step with the College community.

Although many on campus may not have appreciated the tiers, I am glad that they provoked discussion. Countless times throughout the year, I saw people crossing out my rankings with a pen and arguing for their preferences. Despite the bashing of my preferences, these were proud moments for me. Unlike previous years where people merely glanced at copies of the Voice, Thomas’ Tiers stimulated interest in the paper. When paired with the fantastic work of our writers and editorial staff, I truly believe that the Voice saw a resurgence this year.

I am confident that my successor, Henry Schneiderman ’26, will continue the tradition of the rankings with integrity, thoughtfulness and a unique approach. Feel free to actively engage with Henry’s Hierarchies in the same way as Thomas’ Tiers. Write viewpoints, have debates and most importantly, please continue to support the Voice next year.