Julia Garrison

News Editor

3.5/5 stars 

Before I watched “Saltburn,” I had heard a lot of warnings from others to watch at my own risk. When I sat down to watch the movie with friends, I felt like I was missing something. Sure, there were times where I questioned the absurdity of the circumstances or felt like I was watching something that I was not supposed to have seen, but the film felt pretty well-rounded in its approach to absurdity mixed with criticism. 

There were some other releases this year that I found myself more drawn to than “Saltburn.” Films like “The Iron Claw,” “The Holdovers” and “Godzilla Minus One” found their way into my top films of the year. Nonetheless, I felt like “Saltburnwas a good film to watch and discuss with friends, and a wonderful film in both Jacob Elordi and Barry Keoghan’s repertoire.

More than all of this, I found myself drawn to the music of “Saltburn.” The film takes place in the early 2000s with a college-aged Oliver Quick (Barry Keoghan) befriending run-of-the-mill rich kid Felix Catton (Jacob Elordi) who eventually invites Oliver to his family home: Saltburn. Oliver—similar to Keoghan’s performance in “The Killing of a Sacred Deer”—intertwines himself with Felix’s family in strange and unusual ways which leads to a grandiose climaxing of events.

Artists like Arcade Fire, MGMT and The Killers find their way into a soundtrack filled with nostalgia for the early 2000s. Although not all the music is time-period accurate (e.g. “Low” by Flo Rida featuring T-Pain was released in 2008, even though the film is supposedly set in 2006), it provides a snapshot of the early 2000s and provides a wonderful thematic backdrop for a film that successfully encapsulated the nostalgia and culture of the early 2000s.

Julia Garrison

Julia Garrison is the News Editor for the Wooster Voice. From Morgantown, West Virginia, she is an English and Global Media and Digital Studies double major with a pathway in digital and visual storytelling. At Wooster, she covers administrative and faculty news. She also designs visuals for stories.