Emilie Eustace

Features Editor

Can you introduce yourself?

Hello! I’m Annays Yacamán. I am from the southwest side of Chicago. I am a senior political science major with a focus on U.S. national politics, and am also minoring in Latin American studies. 

What are you involved with on campus?

In the past, I have been on the executive boards of Latinas Unidas, the First Generation Student Organization and the Sexual Respect Coalition, which I really enjoyed. Currently, however, I am more involved in my jobs on campus. I work at Boo Bears Brew in Old Main and also at the library as a digital consultant. I am also a part of Delta Theta Psi! 

What are you passionate about?

I am passionate about many social justice issues. Particularly, I really care about immigration and reproductive rights in the United States, Latin America and beyond. I began to get involved in activism in high school when I was concerned about gun violence in my neighborhood in Chicago. I am also passionate about baking, crafting and I also love making coffee!

What is your IS about?

My IS is about how anti-immigrant sentiment in the United States impacts the reproductive autonomy of migrant women. Specifically, I am conducting a case study on Texas, where we have seen political changes that affect both immigrants and reproductive rights. To do this, I am analyzing a survey conducted each year in Texas amongst registered voters. The purpose of this survey is to calculate anti-immigrant sentiment amongst voters. I am assuming that the attitudes and opinions of constituents will impact the elected officials in the Texas House and Senate, and that these officials will respond to how their constituents feel. I will also be collecting data and analyzing bills that have been introduced that involve both immigration and reproductive autonomy. In the end, I will be analyzing if/how anti-immigrant sentiment impacts the reproductive autonomy of migrant women through these bills. I am still in the process of my data collection, and it is a lot of work. But, it has been very rewarding and informative! 

Who is your biggest mentor on campus? Who gets you through hard times?

I would say some of my biggest mentors here on campus are Dr. Michele Leiby and Dr. Álvaro Corral. They both really care about issues regarding the Latinx community on campus and are passionate about supporting first-generation students. I actually worked with Dr. Corral during the summer of 2020, where I helped them on a research project regarding immigration enforcement in Ohio. Because of this opportunity, I feel that they have guided me in a way that has allowed me to find my own interests while also becoming more passionate about certain areas of both immigration and reproductive rights. 

What is your favorite Wooster memory?

My favorite Wooster memory has to be from before the pandemic when I was co-president of Latinas Unidas when we put on the first Latinx gala. It was a really amazing opportunity to showcase the brilliance of our community, as well as our talent and unity. The gala provided a way to acknowledge all of our contributions to Wooster. It was just really fun to not only gather as a group, but also gather with other members of campus that support us. 

I know you love being a Sagittarius, tell me more about your birth chart! 

Yes! I have Aquarius and Sagittarius stelliums, which makes me very optimistic and adventurous. I am a Gemini moon which I feel makes me a little bored at times, but definitely gives me the motivation I need to spice things up and have more fun in terms of school and life in general. I am also a Taurus rising which I think makes me practical and brings a little realism into the optimism that I am known for.

Seeing you at Boo Bears is always a highlight of my day, what has been your craziest drink request on campus?

I also love seeing you and all of my amazing friends on campus, a plus to working at our new location! I have not had too many insane requests on campus, but someone did get six shots of espresso in one drink once. Even as a huge caffeine person, I thought that was a lot for one drink. They were probably on that IS grind. 

What are you looking forward to most in your last semester here at Wooster?

I am looking forward to spending time with people and being intentional about spreading good energy on campus. I am looking forward to seeing where the job search takes me and what city I will be in post-grad. There are lots of big, stressful things around life planning, but I am excited to see all of the possibilities ahead. Besides that, I am really focused on finishing the semester strong and finishing IS. Doing IS has been a lot at times but I have enjoyed it and am getting to a point in the process where I can see the end product beginning to come out, it is now like my little baby!

Written by

Chloe Burdette

Welcome to The College of Wooster's Inter-Greek Council website! Here you will find out everything about our campus's Greek Life, including resources for the 2020 Rush season> We are so glad you are with us!