It is still strange to me that I am in New Zealand. How I got here and all the stress and emotions that led up to my departure seem a blur to me now. But it is still hard to digest that I have been here for two months.

I missed most of my summer in Cleveland, but for a good reason. The views here are absolutely unbelievable. Everywhere you look there are sheep, rolling hills with houses speckled in between and ocean stretching far into the distance. It is impossible to take a bad picture here. Since Iíve been here Iíve tried to sort out what I have learned, what I have seen and who I have met and itís all so overwhelming. I have met tons of people, from international students to Kiwis ó I have seen more than half of the North Island of New Zealand, Melbourne and Sydney, and have made plans to go South, and what have I learned? Well, that is the biggest part.

New Zealand is like home, except itís clearly not home ó it is all the way across the world. The people speak English, and they are very friendly, offering you more than just directions, but a genuine smile and true understanding of how difficult it must be to be lost in a foreign world. The shops are surrounded by charming little cafes and great coffee everywhere, night clubs and bars dotting the streets which I still get lost on. The classes are very different at Victoria University. We have lecture a few times a week, and tutorials once a week. There are one, maybe two papers due all semester at ìUni,” as the Kiwis call it, but they are worth 25-40% of the final grade. I have never experienced such a laid-back learning environment.

My flatmate Liam and I do our own shopping, watching large numbers appear on our receipts and trying as best as we can to save money. Cooking is a skill that Iíve never had, but I am slowly learning. Kevin and Natalie are my other flatmates. Living communally is something I have adjusted to nicely at my residence, 6 Landcross Street. Wellington is a beautiful city situated right on the water. One of the biggest shocks will surely be living far away from the ocean again, and missing the glorious view from outside my window, admiring the lights beaming off the New Zealand buildings at night.

There are still aspects of New Zealand culture that I struggle with, even after two months. For example, the Kiwis are big on their abbreviations and jargon, and it turns me in circles. Here is an example of a common text: [hy grl r u gng ot 2night, me nd some mtes r going 2 a qz nite if u r keen.] Phew. Some other phrases are ìhow are you going?” meaning how are you doing, ìgood on ya,” meaning good job, and ìsweet as” meaning cool or awesome. The brands are also different. I walk around looking for my favorite kind of juice and brand of cookies and itís a little frustrating when I can find neither, but that isnít the hardest adjustment. There is, of course, the exchange rate which fluctuates from .5 to .7, the dress (which is very European), and driving on the left side of the road! For the first couple times I was a passenger in a bus/taxi I thought my life was at risk and closed my eyes at every turn.

I never thought I would come here, but I ended up surprising myself. I came knowing that I was here to prove things to myself and to people around me: that challenges wouldnít eat me up ó that I am stronger than I realize. The first was to prove that I could live alone, and by doing so, come into my own person. Living alone is not easy, knowing that you have the power to choose what to do with each day. Iím sure the confidence of being on my own will come with time.

My other goal was to try things I never thought I would do. This has been somewhat accomplished.

About a month ago I bungee jumped with my friend May Tobar í11. It was exhilarating and fun and now all I want to do is do it again in Queenstown in late October!† Last week I climbed to the summit of the Sydney Harbor Bridge just a few days after petting a kangaroo that ate food right out of my hand. I also have five seconds of standing up on a surf board at Manly Beach to revel in. I can also say that now I have successfully played rugby and almost understand the game! This coming week I am traveling to the Marlborough Sounds to kayak and then to Rotorua in two weeks to skydive (hopefully). I have truly been blessed with these opportunities and am so grateful I have experienced them.

I miss everyone from home ó my family, friends, Delta Theta Psi sisters, swimmers, the list goes on. I cannot wait to return home and share my abroad experiences with everyone, but until then, cheers from New Zealand and best wishes for a great semester.