Noah Golovan

Coming to college, I was excited by the endless possibilities as to what I could accomplish. I was eager to voice my opin- ions at a school where inde- pendent minds work together — where differ-

ences are appreciated and tolerated. The College of Wooster prides it- self on its diversity. With a student population of 16 percent interna- tional students and 22 percent do- mesticstudentsofcolor,wegofar beyondthenationalaverages,mak- ing us one of the most physically diverse schools in the state. During first-year orientation, I was continu- ally reminded of this diversity. This was supplemented through multiple hours of discussion about the topic through participation in lectures and group activities which were intended to teach us the values and principles of Wooster.
What stood out in particular wasthe “Community Values and Prin- ciples” presentation. During the pre- sentation, our civility statement in the Scot’s Key was discussed, which states, “We pledge to stand united against hate by creating and contrib- uting to safe learning environments in our community. We respect and value the commonalities and differ- ences among us — celebrating the uniqueness of each individual and recognizing it takes all people to make a college community.” Wooster recognizes that no two people are the same. When brought together, their differences make them stronger. But as my first semester went on, I real- ized this was not entirely true. For a school that boasts diversity, there is a blatant disregard for and discrimina- tion of diversity of thought.

For example, I identify as a con- servative Republican and know that I am held to the standards put in place by the Scot’s Key, especially because of my political views. However, my liberal counterparts are not neces- sarilyheldtothesamestandards. Thisisevidentthroughtheactions of the students, administration

and faculty. This double standard is highlighted by how the College handles incidents of intimidation and violence. When white suprema- cist propaganda appeared on cam- pus, the administration handled it swiftly and appropriately, removing the propaganda and providing sup- port to students. However, when students spread anti-facist (or antifa, a group subscribed to using physical violence and harassment as a means of protesting right-wing ideas) ma- terials, it was ignored and justified as freedom of speech. Also, in what is perhaps the most obvious way, the schooldoesnottrulysupportdiver- sityofthoughtisseenthroughout its curriculum and academia. Non- left-leaning experts are seldom in- vited to campus for the administra- tion’s fears of upsetting students and faculty, and when students at- tempt to provide differing opinions in class, they are often shut down and ridiculed by both professors and peers alike.

If you choose to make your per- sonal opinions of me based on my political affiliations, that is your right. While I may disagree, as I be- lieve you should base your opinion of someone off their character rath- er than their labels, it is not nearly as destructive as a school that only supports diversity when it pertains to physical attributes. I would rather be judged off of my intelligence, worth and experience, rather than as a statistic. I encourage everyone to make up for the administration’s shortcomings by adhering to the standards of the Scot’s Key and tru- ly being the member of the Wooster community that administration says they advocate for. Be willing to listen to those you disagree with, continue to ask questions and most impor- tantly, do not make assumptions.

Ideally, I ask for an environment inclusive for all people, not just those you agree with. The world would be boring without differing opinions. Appreciate the diversity around you; don’t belittle it.