I have two very distinct memories from my first couple weeks on campus in the fall of 2016. The first: I was intensely cutting a bagel with one of the metal sticks Lowry refers to as knives. Little did I know that right in front of me was a contraption that would forever change my Lowry experience: a bagel cutter. A senior on my field hockey team approached me and lovingly pointed out that instead of disfiguring my plain bagel, I could instead gently put it into a small black case and slice it cleanly through. My embarrassment was quickly replaced with gratitude that I had someone who was willing to help me with something so simple as breakfast foods.

The second memory that sticks out clearly was on a cool, late August night. A teammate and I were walking back to Andrews Hall (can’t wait to have you back, Andrews) and decided to sit outside and look at the stars. We got to talking about our experiences in high school and what we were most excited for going forward into our college careers. Among many other things, that night we made a promise to each other. We promised that college was going to be different. We promised that we would be open with each other and to our experience at Wooster. We promised that we were going to make the most out of our next four years. 

Looking back on these two moments seems like a lifetime ago. I remember being completely overwhelmed my first few weeks on campus. Hell, the first semester was a whirlwind of emotions. Yet, that first semester set the groundwork for the amazing experience I have been privileged to have at the good old College of Wooster (Roll Scots!). If I could give any advice to incoming first years — which I’m going to since that’s the whole point of this article — it would be to be patient, be open and be kind. 

Be patient with your transition. You’ve heard it before, but moving away from home is hard. Wooster didn’t start to feel like home right away; it took a lot of time to become comfortable with my surroundings and the person that I was becoming. While others may not be as privileged as I am with a family and home that I missed, it is still good to recognize that it’s OK to not be 100 percent OK right away. Be patient with yourself. Allow yourself to be a bit overwhelmed, but know you can still accomplish your goals while feeling this way.

Be open to new opportunities and guidance from those around you. Whether it’s a senior giving you the best way to cut a bagel in Lowry or being vulnerable with a new friend, allow yourself to be open to new experiences. By this, I mean more than just joining all the clubs you want. That’s still great advice, but truly be open to new perspectives and people. Wooster can be an excellent place to get out of your bubble, but you have to make the effort. 

Finally, be kind. Be kind to your new friends who are just as nervous as you are, even if it doesn’t seem like it. Be kind to yourself as you handle this amazingly terrifying experience. 

Being at Wooster will slowly begin to feel normal, if it doesn’t already. Your own bagel and star moments will stick with you for the next three years and then suddenly you’ll be wondering how the hell you’re writing an advice article as a senior. Trust me, it happens. 

Grace O’Leary, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at GOleary20@wooster.edu.