Matt Olszewski

Sports Editor

The College of Wooster women’s tennis team has had a successful season so far, compiling an 8-3 record up until Friday, April 5. Earlier in the season, they lost a close match to Calvin College by a score of 5-4 after starting the season off 3-0. Calvin is likely one of the best teams they will have played this season. Sarah Duran ’21 reflected on the match against Calvin. “I think a highlight for me this season was our match against Calvin in March. I felt like I could really see the improvement and hard work that I have tried to put into tennis during my singles match. I played the same girl that I had played last year who beat me, but this year I was able to turn it around. It felt good to see myself improving,” she said. Duran won her No. 2 singles match with a score of 6-2, 6-3. Before the closely decided match against Calvin College, the Scots had beaten Muskingum and Baldwin Wallace 8-1, as well as blanked Mount Vernon Nazarene University 9-0. More recently, the team spent the majority of spring break in Hilton Head, S.C. and played five matches, winning four out of the five. Laura Haley ’21 described her favorite part of her team’s trip to S.C. “The highlight of our spring break trip for me was having success at one doubles with Sarah throughout the last half of the trip and being able to spend time with my teammates,” she said.

It is important to note that the team has been through some injuries this season but they remain composed. Shannon Sertz ’20 remarked on how the team has changed throughout the course of the season so far. “Due to several injuries on the team, a lot of girls have had to play up. Even though this has been difficult, I can see how the team is becoming better and grittier while facing such a challenge. I know that once everyone is healthy, we are going to emerge even stronger,” she said. In relation to emerging even stronger as a team, Sertz also reflected on how their coach, Amy Behrman, has helped them be the best they can be. “Coach Behrman, throughout all seasons, has acted as a constant motivator both on and off the court. She pushes us to reach our highest potentials and to be determined to work hard to reach our goals,” Sertz remarked. She also attested to the feeling of a family: “We are not only a team, but a family. I love these ladies, and they make all of the effort worthwhile,” she said.

Emma Saxton ’22 added, “Coach brings intensity to practice that she wants us to have in matches and you can see that influence on our game … The team is really great, we have a lot of fun together, but everyone also knows when to switch to a serious mindset when it’s needed,” she said. This effort and serious mindset was displayed in their match against Edgewood in Hilton Head, which Joy Li ’20 commented on. “The most memorable moment of our season was our match against Edgewood College on our last day of spring break. Everyone fought so hard, but the score was 4-4. Emma’s single match went into a ten-point tie-break and everyone was watching her with nervousness. When she held on in her game and clinched the match, everyone, including coach, had tears in their eyes. We tightly hugged with each other in the sunset, knowing how precious this win was to us. Every ball, every point, every game and every match matters, and our hard-work and toughness on and off the court will eventually pay off,” she said. Duran talked about what she is excited for throughout the rest of the season. “I look forward to just being able to play more matches. Tennis for me has always been a big part of my life and so it is nice when you find a community through that,” she said. 

On an individual note, Joy Li has had another tremendous season, with a record of 10-0 so far at the No. 1 singles position this season. Li is also ranked 21st in the region. Most recently, she picked up another singles win in the match against Wittenberg after winning in two sets, 6-4, 6-3. Li has compiled 40 singles wins and 31 wins in the No. 1 position so far in her career at Wooster. In addition, she has earned 77 total career wins in singles and doubles, earning a spot in the top nine on the all-time program record list. She described how it feels to be ranked regionally, “I definitely feel happy about this and my performance in the season so far, and I know that I could not achieve this without the support of my coach and teammates. Being regionally ranked makes me have more of a sense of responsibility at No. 1 singles, but I am very excited about the upcoming conference matches and I will face any challenges with all I have,” said Li. In terms of who has helped her the most with her success so far this season, Li made sure to mention her coach and how she is calming when a match gets stressful, making her impatient. Li also noted how her teammates and the men’s tennis team have helped her with her success. 

The Scots look to pick up a key conference win when they travel to Oberlin College for a 4:30 p.m. match on Friday, April 5.

(Photo by Matt Olszewski)