One of the reasons I chose to come to The College of Wooster was the overwhelming importance given to giving back to one’s community. On Jan. 21 we honored Dr. King’s legacy by giving back to the Wooster community and educating ourselves on matters of social justice and advocacy. I was raised Hindu, a religion born in the Indian subcontinent millennia ago. The tenants of Hinduism are formed around the idea that we can all be giving; giving to our gods, giving to ourselves, but most importantly, giving to others. On Martin Luther King Jr. Day this year, I chose to honor his legacy by educating myself in order to help those around me. 

In my life, the concept of dharma has shaped how I view my contributions to the world. I grew up being taught that to be a contributing member of society is the highest achievement. While traditionally one’s dharma would be dictated by their caste -— a social hierarchical system wherein one’s profession and station in life was hereditary — in modern times, I was taught that dharma can be simplified to mean one should be helping others, not just through their career, but in their everyday life. Throughout high school, I frequently volunteered my time at the local urgent care clinic — a sort of less emergent and less expensive emergency room. Additionally, respecting the elderly was paramount; offering them my seat on a crowded train, offering to carry their groceries, etc. At the end of the day, dharma just means helping people. 

On Jan. 21 I attended three justice dialogues to educate myself to improve my ability to help others. In the morning, I went to a lecture on the social and economic impacts of menstruation. As a cisgender man, I always try to learn more about what are incorrectly termed “women’s issues.” To be a better son, brother and friend, I want to make sure that I am informed and supportive for all the menstruating people in my life. Menstruation does not just affect women, and its impacts can go beyond menstruating people. It is incredibly important for children of all gender identities to be educated from a young age about menstruation to dismantle the stigma surrounding a natural bodily function. After that, I attended dialogues on affirmative action, the perception of East Asian Americans as a minority and homonationalism, a concept revolving around the ideas of a nation’s progress in relation to queer acceptance. 

To honor Dr. King’s legacy, The College of Wooster hosts these justice dialogues to educate the student body and spread awareness of issues that affect everyone. I chose to attend these dialogues to become a better ally to my friends, family and colleagues. Throughout my first semester at Wooster, I have explored many ways in which to break down the concepts of “other” that are promoted in American society. As we honor Dr. King’s legacy, I hope others come away with a drive to give back to their communities and educate themselves on how to help their underrepresented peers. 

Shankar Bhat, a Contributing Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment at SBhat22@wooster.edu.