Sam Kuhn
Senior Sports Writer

This past weekend, the men’s and women’s golf teams traveled to the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) Championships, hosted by Ohio Wesleyan University and Westbrook Country Club. After three rounds this weekend, the men finished sixth and the women finished fourth. For the men, Colin O’Hern ’21’s and Morgan Gronau ’21’s All-NCAC Honorable Mention Certificates were among the weekend’s many memorable individual performances.

The Scots edged out Denison University by two strokes for sixth place overall. O’Hern finished with a 78 on the final day and Evan Ferrara ’20 scored a team best of 77. David Roney ’21 posted scores of 77, 78 and 86 to finish 29th overall for the weekend.

“The thing that allowed me to play well this weekend was not one defining moment, but it was more of the entire mindset I have been in the last few weeks,” said Roney. “I have had a somewhat rough season overall, and I knew it was time for me to come out of my slump. I did not worry about what could happen and just played the game I knew I could play, and [I] enjoyed the weekend playing a fun course.”

Continuing on the men’s side, Brendan Tully ’18 tied for 30th. “The most memorable moment from this season was watching Tully hole out his approach shot on the hole behind me at the NCAC’s,” said Roney. “That kind of picked me up and got me motivated to finish my round well.”

Only one shot behind Tully, Jimmy Hinton ’20 rounded out the men’s side, tying for 32nd.

For the women, Gronau turned in the best individual performance and finished 15th overall, while Tongtong Wu ’21 finished two spots back in 17th place and led the Scots with a team-low score of 85. “The best highlight was [that] everybody, including former graduates, showed up to the last day of the tournament to support the team,” Wu said. “With the team’s support, patience and cross-cultural communication with me, an international student at the College, I have grown from the twists and turns.”

Victoria Roney ’18 finished 18th on the weekend, scoring two 89s and a 93 to place one spot behind Wu. The Scots finished with two more impressive individual performances, as Hannah Appleman ’20 finished 20th overall with a final score of 279. Kaci Carpenter ’20 shot a team-low 86 on Friday, but finished with a final round of 102 and a total of 288 to finish 22nd overall.