It’s only the second week of college and I keep hearing what college is all about. “College is about the people you chose to be around,” “college is about exposing yourself to uncomfortable truths and growing as a person,” “college is about focusing on your academics,” “college is about finding your niche”. While all these may be true in their own way, the common denominator is you.

In these first couple of weeks here as first years, we have been offered opportunities to make our own destinations. Anywhere from getting asked to go out to dinner, signing up for a class, or joining a club. Every one of these things could lead to meeting someone who defines your college experience or doing something that becomes a passion.

All that said, many first years feel a ticking clock on these opportunities, as if missing out on one could rip a piece away from what could be destined or important, and we develop a chronic fear of missing out.

As your fellow first year, I don’t have any more wisdom than you do or any more idea as to how this all works than you do. But it might help if you know someone else feels the same way you do or is going through the same things as you. This first week I said yes to every opportunity because I didn’t want to miss a chance. This new life after high school feels like hitting the restart button and doing everything I never got the chance to do before. By Sunday, my voice turned into a raspy crackling shell of a human like how Lord Voldemort sounds when he possesses Professor Quirrell in Harry Potter. It took a day of whispering to restore my voice to a still strained raspy tone.

Looking back, had I taken a moment to listen to myself, I might have realized that I felt overheated not because of walking too fast but from having a temperature. If I had allotted some time to care for myself, my body wouldn’t have had to force me to do so — by literally shutting me up.

That taught me a lesson that we’ll all learn with time: although it may appear this way sometimes, no one can do everything. It’s okay to say no and take care of yourself instead. It’s not just ok, it’s essential. Your college experience will not be less of one if you chose to watch Netflix instead of going out to socialize. Heck, invite your friends to watch Netflix with you.

Your college experience is yours because it belongs to you and you only, and it’s essential to make part of that time self care. Simple things like getting ample sleep, making time for exercise and de-stressing with things like yoga and meditation — are self care. De-stressing has a different definition for everyone: some people unwind by exercising, others watch a movie. It’s okay to utilize what works for you. Living away from home, for many first-years for the first times in our lives, forces us to not only get to know each other but to get to know ourselves.

There’s no shame in getting better acquainted with that voice inside your head. This is your life and your college experience, so do with it what you will, and you’ll end up where you are meant to be.

Allie Deyhle, a Staff Writer for the Voice, can be reached for comment ADeyhle21@wooster.edu.