This summer I took part in the Wooster In Presidential Elections class, through which I had the opportunity to travel to Cleveland and Philadelphia for both the Republican and Democratic National Conventions. I was able to expand my viewpoints, have them challenged, and got to really explore opposing opinions in a way that I had never really had the chance to before.

One experience that stood out to me in particular was a conversation, or rather an impromptu lecture, I had with a Texas delegate for Ted Cruz. The conversation started quite accidentally when a classmate approached him to ask if he would participate in our research. He did, and after the short survey, he began to ask us questions about our work and college, and from there he began to talk. He spoke of his past, his values, his principles and where he thought those played into the politics of today.

It was a fascinating interaction for two reasons.

One, I realized throughout the talk that beyond the superficial differences of our politics and daily lives, we came from a place of similar values and principles that led us both to a place of similar ends. While I disagreed with his proposed solutions to solving problems in the United States, I was able to empathize with him because of the values we shared.

Two, I realized quite recently that my experience talking to this delegate would have been dramatically different if I had not spent the discussion actively listening to what he had to say. Because I listened, I was able to digest his argument and better understand where he was coming from, even if I did not agree with his politics.

This experience convinced me to spend more of my time really listening to what other people are saying because it enables me to better understand the place from which someone with a view or idea different from mine comes, and it creates a better chance to find common ground and solve problems in a more positive way.

Based on my interactions with President Bolton and Dean Brown, I believe that these two new administrators share in this belief of listening as a tool for problem solving, and this gives me great hope for Wooster over the coming years. With a greater focus on listening, I have full faith that members of different parts of the Wooster community can find common ground to address some of the challenges facing this institution. Now, more than ever, we have an opportunity to make our voices heard, knowing that we will be listened to. But we must also listen back, as I will make sure to do in my various roles around campus, to ensure that we better understand those who may seem so different from us.

Jordan Griffith, Chief Copy Editor for the Voice, can be reached for comment at JGriffith19@wooster.edu.