Tara Abhasakun

On Sunday, Aug. 24 2014, students from The College of Wooster gathered with local residents at a vigil in solidarity with the residents of Ferguson, Missouri. Several faith leaders, including those who work at the College as well as those who work at nearby churches, delivered speeches about racism in the U.S.

The words that stood out the most to me were spoken by a Presbyterian minister from South Africa. He said, “It is time for us as whites to look inside of ourselves and realize the areas in which we are exclusive … we must cross borders, no matter how uncomfortable it may be.”

I can’t help but wonder how soon people of all different racial and ethnic backgrounds will  “cross borders” as the minister said. That is, when will we all begin to cross borders more than we do right now?

For while the solidarity vigil brought people of many backgrounds together for an afternoon (and the solidarity there definitely felt real), how many people who attended will truly attempt to make changes in their daily social patterns so as to reach out to people they normally would not reach out to?

I am trying to remain optimistic and hope that as many people as possible (including myself) make a supreme effort to do so.