Lily Iserson

A&E Editor

Jazz music swelled from three corners of downtown Wooster this past Saturday, each featuring podiums of banjo, saxophone and violin as my friend and I approached the main square. My first impression was the age of the general public, ranging from grandmotherly figures to handful after handful of nuclear families, with a few curious college students thrown into the mix. It was partly cloudy and I was already excited for a chance at the bright colored food and art kiosks. The Wooster Jazz Festival was alive with a relaxed beat and not a hint of pretentiousness, only a desire to appreciate the day.

I realize reviewing an event after it has already taken place risks defeating journalistic purpose. Yet, as an annual event somewhat overlooked in favor of Wooster’s larger festivals (Wooster’s county fair having taken place only a week before), someone needs to illuminate an event so often reduced to ignored Lowry posters.

Going into its 11th year, Wooster’s Jazz Festival was free of charge and focused on artists that hailed from the Greater Ohio area. One highlight included the Akron Big Band, who played “Proud To Be an American” and “Moonlight Serenade” to nostalgic older couples who swing danced through the entire show and were a delight to watch. Other bands included quartets, hobby groups and The Ukelele Cowboy Society, a name which should speak for itself. I found myself listening to the music from nearby park benches and street corners, appreciative of a change of pace and the quaintness of music in the air.

The music was complemented with series after series of local artists — watercolors, homespun dresses and jewelry booths sided a tent for children to practice their own artistic skills in sprawls of sidewalk chalk. My friend and I were able to uncover interesting food options, from free port wine and chocolate samples in the back of a furniture store, to deep-fried sushi and homemade brownies. All in all, the event was not only well-organized; it had a lovingly homey vibe. The day culminated with a sudden parade in which festival organizers handed out umbrellas and encouraged people to dance. Though small in scale, this clearly emphasized the festival’s whimsy, a joy to experience on an otherwise average Saturday afternoon.