Sheamus Dalton

Oftentimes, I catch myself muttering “go Scots” under my breath after I make a particularly insightful point during my sociology class. I also have been known to yell the phrase after a masterful final knockout during a late night Super Smash Bros. session. To me, the phrase is not to be confined to athletic settings. Instead, I find it to be a universal representation of identity. To me, it represents the  “Scot pride” I feel as College of Wooster student.

This may be a stretch for most people. In the first place, I would not be surprised if a large portion of our student body had never even said “go Scots” in any context. I understand that some students are not sports fans and don’t find any enjoyment in cheering our prolific athletic teams on toward victory. For those students who attend a soccer game here or a basketball game there, the phrase “go Scots” just doesn’t resonate as powerfully with them.

I realize I am an anomaly. Some could argue that I overuse the phrase. Others may argue that I apply my Scot pride in situations where it has no place. Not everyone would condone exclaiming “go Scots” after finishing a particularly outstanding chicken club from Lowry. This is fine. Not everyone feels as strongly about expressing their school pride in all situations. They may be sports fans, but they also aren’t as affected by their identity as a Scot. “Go Scots” is not in their vocabulary because they never have any need to say it. However, the actual phrase is not what I find to be most significant. It’s the idea that goes along with being a Scot that matters.

For many athletes, myself included, Scot pride is a source of inspiration on the field. There is nothing better than seeing a mass of students in the stands chirping and cheering for victory.

This school pride is not lost off the field. I will never shy away from telling my friends at home about how great it is to be a student here at the College.

In this way, I think that even for those who would never be caught dead at a C.O.W. sporting event, Scot pride should mean something. While they may not be proud of our athletics or even know that they exist, they can still be proud to attend such a great school. Academically, our school is nationally recognized as a leader of undergraduate education. This is definitely something that can make any Scot proud. I mean, our moot court team wins too. If students won’t be proud of our athletics, at least be proud of our winning intellect.

While I think that school spirit will always be predominantly associated with athletics, I think that Scot pride can be much more than that. It shouldn’t be limited to just athletes but should be able to encompass the whole student body. We all have a reason to be proud to be a Scot. I think that this should help to provide a common identity and strong unity among all students. So, let’s go Scots.