Dean Kreuzman, who performs as “Lil’ Kruz,” lives secret double life as rapper

Fibba Schmidt

Harry Styles’ Long-Lost Twin

Tupac. J’Quan. Kanye. Jay-Z. 2 Chainz. Which name is the next to follow these greats? Dean Henry Kreuzman.

Students at Wooster may be surprised to discover that Henry B. Kreuzman III, Wooster’s Dean for Curriculum and Academic Engagement, who performs under the name Lil’ Kruz, is actually a highly respected rapper. His debut mixtape, “Kruisin Like a Kreuzman,” made a quiet splash on the music scene with its initial release but has since been hailed as a “classic” and a “template for all great rap albums.”

Lil’ Kruz has tried to stay out of the spotlight, quietly lending his expertise to everyone from established rappers like Drake to up-and-comers like Danny Brown. Female rappers like Nicki Minaj and Azealia Banks owe their success partly to Lil’ Kruz’s encouragement and promotion, and Kendrick Lamar’s critically acclaimed album “good kid, m.A.A.d city” was co-produced by Lil’ Kruz. “He’s at the top of the game. I really respect him. He’s been working on my music for years, and I’m so glad that he’s finally getting the recognition he deserves,” says Jay-Z. “He’s just so raw, so powerful. He has a big message that should get outside of Ohio. He’s godfather to my daughter. That’s how much I love him.”

Rolling Stone called Lil’ Kruz “the greatest rapper in the game” and hailed his second album, “Wooster Blueprint,” as “nothing short of a masterpiece.” Between semesters, Lil’ Kruz has toured extensively with Ludacris, and he performs in Cleveland on weekends, where he has a rabid following of both young college students and grandfathers.

Lil’ Kruz did not respond to our requests for an interview, but he has given insight into his music to other publications, including one illuminating interview in The New York Times. He says, “you know, I just saw a real gap in the market for older men, and I needed an outlet to express myself. I love my students, but sometimes they can be difficult to deal with. I can think of no better way to unwind and work through my day than getting into the studio and laying down a track.” Lil’ Kruz’s studio, coincidentally, is located in the basement of Lowry behind Mom’s, which has a private entrance for both Lil’ Kruz and his VIP guests.

Lil Kruz’s most recent album, “1189,” has forced Lil’ Kruz into the spotlight, ensuring that he can no longer hide his talent. This album sets itself up for greatness from the title of the first track, “Baddest Dean in Town,” and the rest of the album certainly delivers. Lil Kruz’s flow is impeccable, and he combines introspective, personal lyrics, like those on “Hate This Disciplinin,” with more upbeat tracks like “Shake That Tartan (In the UG).”

Of course, the album is not without controversy. Dean B calls out several of his peers, especially in the aptly titled track, “I’m Better than Grant.” However, he highlights several other Deans with guest spots on many tracks, like Dean Buxton’s (who performs under the name Dean B) verse on “Around the World (We Global Citizens).”

Lil’ Kruz told Pitchfork that he has no plans to leave his job at Wooster, but now that his rap persona has been revealed, he hopes to incorporate his music into his daily life at the College. He has been offered a permanent spot at both Party on the Green and Springfest, and will now perform at both commencement and graduation.