Laura Merrell

When I found out that one of the world’s hottest couples, William and Kate, were going to have a baby, I dropped everything. I spent the next hour reading articles about what hyperemesis gravidarum was and looking at slideshows people had made to commemorate their cutest moments. Obviously, I have a problem. Many people, myself included, have a tendency to get caught up in other people’s lives, both real and fictional, perhaps even to an unhealthy degree.

The success of the latest Twilight movie, The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn-Part 2, (which should be in contention for one of the most unnecessarily long movie titles ever), emphasizes my point. Many Twihards live vicariously through the films and books, declaring themselves on either “Team Edward” or “Team Jacob.” There is also a really unbelievable and rather troubling amount of fan fiction available for almost any TV show or movie you can think of.

With many fans so thoroughly engrossed in their favorite shows, movies or celebrities, it is important to remember that there is a point at which becoming so immersed in a fictional reality distorts or becomes our reality.

It’s one thing to really enjoy a TV show, but there are limits. While it is very intriguing and interesting whether Cristina and Owen from Grey’s Anatomy can figure things out, or what will become of Rachel and Finn of Glee, these outcomes should not have any meaningful impact on our day-to-day existence.

There is nothing wrong with wiping away some tears after your favorite fictional couple breaks up, or feeling elated when a character you have been rooting for pulls through. However, there does need to be an understanding of separation between the show or movie and your life. The writers or screenwriters are not attempting to ruin your life and should not have control over your emotions or mood to any significant extent.

Yes, it was difficult for me to come to terms with Daisy and Sweets’ break up on Bones, but after the episode was over, I picked myself up, brushed myself off, and moved on.

Becoming wrapped up in celebrities’ lives can be just as problematic. I have to constantly remind myself that who Ryan Gosling dates is none of my business, but I seldom succeed. I had an epiphany at the gym when I could not change the channel, and I was forced to watch Entertainment Tonight’s coverage of Justin Bieber and Selena Gomez’s break-up. Their break-up does not really matter and has no bearing on my successes and failures in life. I’m guilty of becoming too wrapped up in the media and celebrities and I am trying to make a change. Others who have the same shortcoming are welcome to try with me.

I propose that we limit the amount of time spent on computers and watching TV. Let’s unplug our various devices and confront our own lives. Especially with finals drawing ever nearer, it’s vital to end this dependence.

Let’s focus on ourselves, instead of which young handsome man Taylor Swift will date next for song material when it crashes and burns. Let’s face it, the world will not stop turning when we pull the cord.