Categorized | Sports

Men’s soccer wins two in a row; women lose

Lincoln Plews

Senior Staff Writer

The College of Wooster men’s soccer team is officially on its first winning streak of the season. The Scots topped John Carroll University 3-2 in an overtime thriller last Wednesday and beat Earlham 1-0 last Friday. The men now stand at 3-5 overall (0-0 in conference).

The women’s team did not fare as well, falling to John Carroll 0-2 in a mid-week away game last Wednesday and losing to Carnegie Mellon 1-3 at home on Saturday to bring them to 5-4-1 on the season (0-0 in conference).

The men’s win against John Carroll was a truly exhilarating affair. The Scots battled to a 3-2 overtime win in the program’s first ever night game on the turf at John P. Papp Stadium. Wooster struck first in the game, with defender/midfielder Adam Hansell ’14 scoring his first career goal off a throw-in from Adam Will ’13 in the twelfth minute.

Both teams saw players sent off in the first half. Wooster’s Adam Hansell ’14 and JCU’s Thor Erikson were each given red cards with 12 minutes remaining in the first period.

Unnerved by the loss of their striker, the Blue Streaks equalized the game before the end of the period. JCU forward Mariusz Trzeciak knocked in a header off a cross from teammate Trenton Guy to tie the game at 1-1.

The game remained even until the final two minutes of the second half, when Wooster broke the tie in dramatic fashion. Alex Hopkins ’16 delivered a free kick from the left side straight to the head of Wooster defender David Mallet ’13, who knocked it in for only the second goal of his career.

The Scots appeared to have the game locked up, but JCU managed to find the back of the net just 30 seconds later. Trzeciak gave a quick pass to midfielder Jon Smola, who fired in the equalizing shot to tie the game at 2-2.

Seven minutes into the sudden-death overtime period, Wooster’s Sheamus Dalton ’16 headed in a cross from George Skelly ’14 to give the Scots the 3-2 win.

The men established their first winning streak of the season by beating the Earlham Quakers 1-0 on Friday. The only goal of the game came off a penalty kick from Wooster’s Alex Hopkins ’16.

The women’s team fell 0-2 to John Carroll in an away game last Wednesday. The Scots were only  outshot by a thin 10-14 margin, but could not connect on any of their chances. Both of JCU’s goals came off of rebounds.

Wooster then lost to the Carnegie Mellon Scotties 1-3 at home on Saturday. Wooster took an early 1-0 lead when Kendal Wong ’13 knocked in a free kick from about 30 yards out in the twelfth minute. CMU struck back almost immediately, however, as forward Brianna Magill blasted in a goal just 20 seconds later.

CMU would score twice more, in the 58th and 81st minutes, to take the game 3-1.


This post was written by:

- who has written 694 posts on The Wooster Voice.

Contact the author

Leave a Reply