There’s always time for Disney

Brooke Skiba

Now that we’re all in college, and technically adults, how many of us still enjoy watching the classic Disney movies? I would imagine that many of us do, even if we won’t always openly admit it. The problem in college seems not to be lack of interest, just lack of time. Though many of us at the College find ourselves without much time  for entertainment, Disney movies can certainly be a justifiable exception.

The most obvious reason Disney movies can fit into your study routine is that they clearly have significant educational value mixed right in with the humorous cartoons. History majors are sure to benefit from learning about the Northern Wei dynasty in “Mulan,” psych majors will enjoy analyzing “The Little Mermaid’s” leg-wanting complex and those involved in sciences and environmental studies will be filled with intellectual stimulation witnessing the food chain at work in “The Lion King.” Not to mention that English majors, like myself, will have a blast applying literary theory to just about every film.

Not only will these Disney movies be excellent supplements to your academics, the films also have the potential to play a positive role in your daily college life. Disney movies are packed full of life lessons that apply to social situations every day. For example, last week someone accidentally bumped into me at Lowry, causing my granny smith apple to roll off my plate onto the floor. I quickly channeled my Disney movie mentality, and I handled the situation effortlessly. I expressed a cool and collected “Hakuna Matata,” as the student apologized and handed me my fallen apple. Remembering how accepting a bad apple worked out for Snow White, I was quick to throw the apple away. Instead, I decided to take the “Lady and the Tramp” approach and replaced the apple with a plate full of spaghetti.

The movies impact us socially primarily because of how relatable they are to college life. College is one of the few places that we can relate to Snow White because she, like many of us, lives with a house (or a dorm) full of guys. We have our very own Pride Lands here on campus, but most of us know it is not advised to venture off into the shadowy downtown late at night. And just as Cinderella knew to be home before midnight, Wooster students are well-aware that late night C-Store runs and socializations in the Pit are only available up until the clock strikes 12.

Now you have the necessary rationalization to justify making time for Disney movies in your otherwise busy schedule. Even as adults, the movies will always appeal to us because they provide the perfect mix of our childhood experiences, engaging storylines and occasional humor that may have been over our heads the first time we saw the films. As Mae West said, “You’re never too old to become younger,” (coincidentally, I read this on my tea bag paper as I wrote this article) so I encourage you to embrace your inner child and make time for Disney.