Tristan Taormino speaks to Wooster students about embracing sexuality

Anya Cohen

Features Editor

On Wednesday, April 18, at 7 p.m. in Mateer Auditorium, Tristan Taormino, a sex educator and adult filmmaker, came to the College of Wooster to speak on the topic of sex and sexual empowerment. She discussed, among other things, the concepts of sexual health and erotic power and stressed the importance of both of these subjects. The event was sponsored by Spectrum, Women of Dené, Men of Harambee and the Longbrake Wellness Center. Features editor Anya Cohen spoke with Taormino about the main points of her talk and what she hoped her listeners will come away with from her presentation.

Anya Cohen: In your own words, how would you describe your specific profession?

Tristan Taormino: I consider myself an educator first and foremost, although I have many jobs: I’m a writer, editor, sex educator, speaker, and adult filmmaker. The thread that runs throughout all the work I do is education.

AC: Obviously, it is difficult to choose just one, but what do you think is the most important thing that young adults/college students should know about sex?

TT: People need to be true to themselves. They need to let go of what they think everyone else is doing, what is expected of them, or what society tells us sex should be. So-called “normal sex” is a myth. Everyone needs to define sexuality for themselves.

AC: For anyone who could not make it to your presentation, what are a handful of the most important things that you hope that your listeners will come away with?

TT: You are responsible for your own pleasure and orgasm; if you don’t know about your own sexuality, it’s too tall an order to ask someone else (a partner) to figure it out. Sexual self-knowledge and self-pleasure is where it all begins. And safer sex is not just about protecting our bodies, it is also about learning what we need to feel safe emotionally and psychologically.

AC: What is your favorite part about your job?

TT: I love it when someone tells me that I’ve changed their lives in some specific way — that is very meaningful and rewarding to me.

AC: What is your least favorite part?

TT: While I love to travel around the world, meet people, and have new experiences, the travel itself — delays, horrible airline customer service, the TSA’s obsession with searching my bags because I always have something interesting in them — is very draining.

AC: Has it been difficult, as a woman, to embrace your sexuality in the ways that you have?

TT: I think it is difficult for most women to embrace our sexuality, let go of sexual shame and guilt, and develop a positive self-image in our society. We are not encouraged to do so and get so many mixed messages from our culture and the media.

AC: What do you think is the hardest thing, for the people who are not in favor of your line of work, to understand?

TT: Conservatives assume I’m promoting promiscuity, partying and porn when, in fact, I want people to learn about their bodies and their boundaries. Sex is about risk, reward and responsibility.

AC: It says on their flier that you have a unique recipe for becoming “sexually empowered.” For those who could not attend your presentation, would you mind sharing that recipe?

TT: Among the ingredients I talk about are: permission, consent, knowledge, self-pleasure, protection, boundaries, communication, authenticity, satisfaction and role models.

AC: What is the most interesting/ridiculous/funny/noteworthy question you have been asked?

TT: Each question I’m asked is as unique as the person who asked it. There’s no such thing as a dumb question when it comes to sex.