by Sir Shiny Tweed

This weekend I saw evidence of what I believe is the beginning of an unstoppable trend. A high school boy was suited in a tartan plaid kilt for his senior prom. Since then, it has come to my attention that this phenomenon is not exclusive to Ohio. After some extended internet researching, television watching, magazine reading and Facebook creeping I have determined that the tartan plaid craze is sweeping not only the nation, but the world.

While I understand that this phenomenon has likely gone unnoticed at Wooster, consider yourself warned. Here at Wooster you are probably always near someone who is wearing plaid — most likely flannel. I want to warn you that you will begin to notice this occurrence elsewhere if you have not already. If you are standing in a crowd, you will be no less than 10 feet away from someone who is wearing plaid. This scary statistic came from the latest edition of Vogue.

This trend has spread not only through different regions of the world, but through social classes as well. Blue collar workers, office employees, royals and celebrities alike are sporting the tartan plaid. Trends that were thriving during the Victorian era are resurfacing on the runways. The tartan-printed garments that were featured in fashion catalogues centuries ago are reappearing in todays recent editions of Glamour, In Style and Elle. Fashion gurus say that this craze will be to the 2010s what leg warmers and shoulder pads were to the ’80s.

This information sets the stage for a multitude of questions. First of all, what does this phenomenon actually mean for the world? My research has shown that there may indeed be a question of ownership when it comes to who is able to wear certain types of tartan. Historically speaking, certain colors and patterns belonged to specific surnames, and individuals were sometimes required to have permission in order to wear a chosen tartan. These were the rules of Scottish clans, but it seems as though this may now become a modern day crisis! Will riots begin to break out as individuals fight over individual rights to wear specific tartan?

I also cannot avoid posing the question that I’m sure you find yourself asking: What does this mean for Wooster? Will the MacLeod tartan plaid pattern be stolen? Will I.S. buttons lose originality and thus significance? More importantly, will admissions increase? (We certainly hope not). I will now step down off my soapbox and allow you to assess the fate of the world based on this phenomenon.

On the lighter side, it is no longer important to consider whether flannel is out of season. It can be worn regardless of time of the year. It can also be worn by absolutely anyone. Men, women, teens and children alike are now showing off tartan plaid gear, whether it be pants, shirts, bags, purses, hair accessories, shoes or even vehicles!

We should all take advantage of the trend while it lasts. I will leave you with one final tidbit of information: According to People magazine,  Justin Beiber is one of the prominent figures of this fad. You will find him sporting a tartan plaid Mini Cooper. When questioned about the vehicle Beiber eagerly explained, “I value the versatility of plaid. It is flattering, functional and audacious. Swag, swag!”