Kamal Morgan
Staff Writer

Logic’s mixtape “Bobby Tarantino II” was released on March 9, 2018 and is a sequel to his 2016 mixtape “Bobby Tarantino.” Logic is a peculiar rapper in terms of his race — he is biracial — and the hate that is thrown his way comes from others’ disdain for him. This mixtape addresses these issues as every track is his rebuttal and own way of countering the criticism.

His first track is “Grandpa’s Space Ship,” which features the characters of the show “Rick and Morty,” of which Logic is a fan, describing their love for Logic. It quickly explores how Rick is the typical hip hop fan that doesn’t want to listen to rap songs about equality or deep messages, but rather wants something to turn up to in the car, or in this case the space ship.

He goes on in his next two songs “Overnight” and “Contra” to explain how he has a strong work ethic, ignores groupies and builds loyalty with his fans. He can’t quite understand critics bashing his music because as he says on “Overnight,” “I treated everybody with respect.” However, he still gets hated by people whom he never talked crudely about.

Instead of feeling broken by these comments, he continues to work hard in his studio in his house and grinds out music. He doesn’t change for anyone and knows his style is unique to the point where he can change how obscene his lyrics are without much thought and still be successful. As he points in “Contra,” “Yeah, I keep it G/Matter of fact, I keep it, I keep it, I keep it, I keep it M/Turn that shit upside down, now it’s a W.”

In his track “Yuck,” Logic becomes more specific about the individuals that are constantly throwing hate and criticism his way. He goes after Joyner Lucas, a Massachusetts rapper, who had problems with Logic since their appearance on Tech N9ne’s 2016 track “Sriracha.” Lucas claims that Logic never wanted to be on the track with him and even has thrown shade towards Logic on his “Mask Off” remix: “And don’t you compare me to Logic (never)/Go listen to ‘Sriracha’/Yeah, that’s Amanda to Ronda/And that’s a Benz to a Honda.”

Logic doesn’t hesitate and responds back on “Yuck” with: “Cats beef with Logic, yeah, they prayin’ I respond/If I ever did, I dead you in this game with no respawn/Peace, love and positivity that’s all I want with you.” Ultimately, Logic throws shots back but doesn’t want any harm to be inflicted on Lucas or his career.

Other tracks such as “BoomTrap Protocol,” “Midnight” and “Wizard of Oz” are where Logic boasts about how far he has come in the rap game and that he is only getting better. He is draped with confidence and self-crowned himself as the “Wizard of Oz,” or the king of the rap game where no one can take it from him as he is getting more successful.

Overall, the mixtape is amazing, as the producing goes well with the flow of Logic’s lyricism and voice. He is able to bend the beat and deliver clever bars and punchlines that will get any hip-hop lover a stink face reaction. I recommend anyone who is or isn’t a Logic fan to take a chance and listen to this mixtape — you won’t be disappointed with this unique project.