Ohio State football fans, it is only going to get worse

Matt Magoon

As someone who hails from Plymouth, Mass., hockey takes priority over any other sport in my household. Now that I live in Ohio, I feel like it is necessary for me to bleed scarlet and grey.

Walk through a Wal-Mart and let me know how many Ohio State Snuggies or jackets you see in comparison to anything related to a school like Miami University (of Ohio). Miami’s hockey team has consistently been one of the best programs in Division I college hockey, yet good old O-H-I-O State’s memorabilia fills stores.

Hey everyone, Ohio State football is not that good. When a team has the same amount of wins as they do losses in one season, it is called being “average.”

Not to mention the fact that they did not beat a solid opponent all year.

I will give it to them though; the 42-0 win against the University of Akron in the beginning of the season was very promising.

Also, the rivalry between Ohio State and Michigan is ridiculous. Ohio State has won for the past seven years. That’s fantastic. However, losing this year is the start of a new era. It will be disappointing for many supporters to watch the Buckeyes play every Saturday and be devastated. I would rather go to a Williams vs. Amherst football rivalry game, where the players leave everything they have on the field.

I will admit that Ohio State has a rich history of fan support and is one of the top college football teams, but this tradition will terminate rapidly.

After Urban Meyer’s dramatic retirement in order to spend time with his family and “rest,” he has now agreed to come back as head coach for the Ohio State Buckeyes. Apparently less than one year with his family was enough. Meyer was perceived as one of the most prestigious college coaches in the nation.

Did you know that 30 of his players during his time as head coach of the University of Florida were incarcerated?

The man is a true character builder that focuses on the growth of his athletes as individuals. He is going to continue to destroy the tradition of Ohio State football, and for those of you who think times are changing, things are only going to get worse.

Urban Meyer is not going to turn the Ohio State football program around. Hopefully the large crowd you see at Buffalo Wild Wings on Saturdays will not lose sleep over the Buckeye’s 3-9 record next season.