According to the FAQ section of Gay Lesbian Straight Education Network’s (GLSEN) Day of Silence web page, “An important part of the Day of Silence is creating educational opportunities before and/or after the event.” If the effectiveness of the Day of Silence mainly depends on the conversation it’s supposed to stimulate, why not just have a Day of Dialogue?

I believe that the Day of Silence, or at least the way in which most people observe it, emphasizes the shame of being closeted.† I understand, of course, that silence is meant to show solidarity with people (chiefly teenage students) who stay quiet about their sexuality and gender preferences in order to avoid being teased.† For those in the know about the cause, it’s a bonding experience and bonding is pretty important for insecure, nervous and bullied individuals.

I don’t think the Day of Silence last week had any significant effect on The College of Wooster. This college is both a supportive environment but can often be an apathetic campus.† Out in October and public dialogue just make more sense here.† Coming out festivities, pride rallies, open support from straight individuals ó I think the Day of Silence could benefit from this open sense of community rather than a potentially insular tradition. Gay rights activism is about seeking basic human rights for all individuals.† Why not be vocal about it?† Why not motivate and demand results?

I think the real problem is that the practice is just outdated.† In the mid-1990s, when the Day of Silence officially began, it was probably revolutionary for student GLBT groups.† It was a way to protest without distracting one another from class.

Now the political climate of the United States has changed.† I don’t think I have to talk about hate crimes or places where same sex marriage is and isn’t recognized, but civil rights will continue to be in question if people don’t open up their mouths.

The Day of Silence ó where students are encouraged to come to class with dry erase boards and to pantomine conversation with friends ó now feels unneccessary at best and regressive at worst.

Not talking can also promote attention to one’s own self rather than an entire community. The Day of Silence seems to have become a private ritual rather than an attempt to promote dialogue and “educational opportunities” within GLBT groups and outside of them as well.

This past Day of Silence, I felt like an outsider looking in.† I try to be conscientious and follow developments in gay rights pretty closely through traditional news outlets and blogs, but I’m not currently a member of Allies and Queers or any similar organizations.† Is that why I don’t see the logic of the practice?

If you want to explain it, don’t stay quiet.† Let me know.† I’m willing to talk any time.

The Day of Silence is a nationwide event† aiming to bring attention to anti-LGBT harassment in schools.† It was held on April 16. Gillian Daniels is a regular contributor to the Voice. She can be reached for comment at GDaniels10@wooster.edu