Itís normal for meat-eating Wooster students to feel guilty about themselves and their decision to consume animals. This is a liberal arts institution, a cornerstone of costly guilt-building, which is probably relatively constructive in the breaking down of privilege and self-importance.

Still, some meat eaters are less apologetic than others, which I think is totally reasonable. People should never have to apologize for having opinions. However, I have encountered many individuals who say that they wish they could be vegetarians.

Itís practically impossible to go through a liberal arts education without being confronted about the politics of eating meat, its negative effect on the environment and the sheer cost of consuming a diet highly composed of animals. Also, dozens of classes discuss the politics of meat, from courses taught in the economics department, to biology, to philosophy, and others.

Some people respond defensively when these questions of morality and higher cost arise, refusing to give up their right to eat animals, as if vegetarians or professors were begging them to stop. Though the benefits of vegetarianism reach others who arenít vegetarians, and the choice of eating meat actually harms others, it is still a choice.

If people are concerned with the negative effects of meat-eating on the planet or on humanity, then measures ought to be taken to establish laws that mitigate how meat can be produced and transported in more efficient ways. Not all people are going to stop eating meat, and they probably shouldnít have to.

One thing that has bothered me in the past about some vegetarians is that many use the term ìeducate” in reference to dispersing information about meat eating to their carnivorous friends. That term, to me, seems patronizing, and can come off as though a vegetarian believes that their way is the only way. Live and let live.

When I feel most defeated by the system, I tell myself that the only thing you can do is to not participate in things you believe to be unjust.

Though I find it easier to connect politically with other vegetarians and vegans, the same is probably true between meat eaters and other meat eaters. If you think eating meat is wrong, donít do it, and if you think itís fine, continue onward. Being a vegetarian isnít that difficult ó and neither is eating meat ó if you believe in what youíre doing. Thereís no real difference. Now, I will say something silly, like Ö I rest my plate.

Maureen Sill is a photo editor for the Voice. She can be reached for comment at MSill10@wooster.edu.