When I first arrived in Granada, Spain this past January to begin my semester abroad, I did not think that I would have much trouble adapting to the Spanish lifestyle. Despite the many warnings about culture shock, there was no aspect of life in Spain that seemed as though it would be particularly jarring to my American sensibilities. After all, I was looking forward to a semester of tapas, sangrÌa and siestas ó there was little to which I felt I would have to adjust. However, it took little time for me to realize how mistaken I was.

A few days into my stay, I became aware of what appeared to be a chronic state of dissatisfaction of the people of the city. Passersbys always seemed disgruntled at requests for directions. Store clerks and waiters were constantly annoyed by customers. Few people ever appeared to smile. Though I did not know it at the time, I was being introduced to what many consider to be Granadansí defining characteristic: ìla malafoll·.”

While it is obviously impossible to identify a single specific trait in the citizenry of an entire city, the people of Granada are known throughout Spain by their reputation for impoliteness (Whether this reputation is deserved or not depends entirely on whom one asks). ìLa malafoll·” is the term that the Spanish have developed to describe the infamous Granadan-style rudeness. As a study abroad student, I was not particularly thrilled to discover I had committed to spend the next six months of my life in a city of such repute.

However, as time passed I began to understand ìla malafoll·” for what it really was: not a negative reflection on the nature of the residents of Granada, but a simple difference in culture. Granadans are neither an unhappy nor mean group of people; they merely perceive the concept of politeness in a different manner. The real culture shock I received, however, did not come from having to adapt to ìla malafoll·”; rather, it came when I realized I was beginning to develop a slight appreciation for it. Granadansí lack of concern for social norms that are rigidly upheld in the United States is, in a strange way, slightly liberating, and it lends them a certain genuineness that is refreshing. Living here has caused me to become conscious of how much time Americans spend worrying about saying the right thing in a given situation or following rules of social etiquette or being politically correct. It is a mindset that is hard to change, and even after spending a few months in the city I still find it difficult to abandon my very American concept of politeness.

Nevertheless, my time in Granada has led me to appreciate how the notions of rudeness in oneís culture can affect the way a person perceives the people of another culture. While I was initially unsure of how to approach ìla malafoll·,” I soon realized that the key was to understand that the brusqueness of a sales clerk or the smile-free expression of a passerby does not necessarily indicate that that person is mean or bad-tempered. For my part, I have had a wonderful experience living with the people of this city; they are open, honest, and passionate about life. Despite their reputation, Granadans are far from rude. They are simply polite in a different way.