Sports Editor Matthew Yannie recently talked to menís tennis co-captain Steve Conroy í10. Conroy is the lone senior on team and has started his season 5-2 overall. The tennis team returned from spring break with a 4-3 overall record.† The Scots will face Ohio Northern University on Tuesday as they look to get back on the winning track heading into upcoming conference play.

MY: On a spring break trip that was challenging overall for the team, you were able to go 3-1 individually. What contributed to your personal success?

SC: I think that my experience really helped me in those matches, but to be honest it had a lot to do with the fact that I moved down the line-up. I injured my back right before the trip, and moved down a few spots to get some easier match-ups.

MY: With the team currently standing at 4-3 overall, what is the outlook for the rest of the season?

SC: Weíll do pretty well. We have a tough match coming up in conference against Allegheny [College], but also an easier one with Oberlin [College]. Next week we have Ohio Northern [University] that should be close. We lost to them last year, but we probably shouldnít have. In the end we should finish third in the conference.† Kenyon [College] and Denison [University] are always better, but we are the third best team in the conference.

MY: What improvements did you see in the team during the spring break trip?

SC: We had a big line-up change.† Matt Mandel í12 moved up into the second spot in singles and the first position for one match and he went 3-1. He did a great job stepping up for us and so did Brad Palanski í11 who moved to the third spot.† Weíve gotten really consistent play from Matthew Hoch í12 in our top spot, which was good for us over the break.

MY: What has held the team back at this point in the season from doing even better?

SC: Our weak point is definitely doubles matches. We have started to play better, but we have struggled. Our last match of the trip, all three of the doubles matches were the best we have ever played as a team. All three pairs are improving now that the pairings are pretty much set.

MY: How has being the only senior as well as having five first-year players impacted the team this season and how will it help in the future?

SC: This season we are a little bit inexperienced and it takes some time to get used to the coaching staff and the program, but everyone is getting better as the season goes on. Next year the team will be really good and will benefit from this yearís experience. The year after that, Hoch and Mandelís senior year, will probably be the best team we have if we continue to get some solid recruits.

MY: Last season you were 8-13 individually, but you have started this season 5-2 which is second best on the team. What are your individual goals for the remainder of the season?

SC: I would like to be at least .500 but hopefully a lot better than that. Iím really just trying to enjoy my final season of competitive tennis because when I start to have fun I play better. I would like to move up of course, but if I stay at my current spot in the line-up thatís fine with me as long as Iím helping out the team.