Sports Editor Matthew Yannie recently talked to track and field† high jumper Abena Boamah-Acheampong í13. She has won the high jump competition in all four meets she has competed in this season including the All-Ohio Competition. Boamah-Achempong also already broke the College high jump record in her second meet with a 5í3″ jump.

MY: Did you expect the immediate individual success you are experiencing early in your collegiate career?

AB-A: Not really, I just came in knowing that I need to try my best. The results are just a product of that, and Iím really happy about the success.

MY: You are one of 15 first-years on the team, how much will your class contribute to the success of team?

AB-A: Our class has been doing really well. We have two girls from the soccer team as well as a strong thrower. We are all really close and that really helps us do well. I think we will have a lot of success this season and throughout our four years.

MY: How has the leadership of the team benefited your early success? What role has upperclassmen guidance played in your transition?

AB-A: I benefited from KateLynn Riley í10 who is a hurdler, and Jon Mathis í10 who is a jumper. It has really helped to have these two upperclassmen with me all the time. The other captains have been really good about being there for support.

MY: You have consistently jumped in the 1.5 meter range so far. When you look to the end of spring season and the NCAC Championship meet is there a height at which you hope to be jumping?

AB-A: I would like to get back to my personal record from high school that was 5í8″.† Iím hoping to get to that, and maybe more. I canít wait until outdoor season when we have our own track and Iíll be able to get a lot more practice.

MY: You have won the high jump competition in all four of the meets you have competed in. How long do you think this streak can continue?

AB-A: I hope to keep the streak going all through indoor season and through the spring as well. I donít like losing so itís hard for me to say.

MY: Having seen the competition you will be facing and knowing what you can expect from your opponents, are you confident that you can complete the season undefeated in the high jump?

AB-A: I feel like itís better to have a lot of competition because it keeps me wanting to achieve my goals. There are a lot of girls that are good ó weíre all around the same height with our jumps so it comes down to executing on early attempts. I think it is good to have competition, but Iím confident that I can keep the number one spot.

MY: The goal for the team is a strong performance at the conference meet in the spring. What are your predictions for the team this year and what are your individual goals for the season?

AB-A: The team is going to do very well. Our relay teams have been dropping their times in every meet so far and individuals are consistently improving. For the team, our main goal is to win conference and beyond that to just continue to get better. Personally, I would love to win the high jump in the conference and make it to the NCAA Div. III Championships as well.