Sports Editor Matthew Yannie recently talked to† womenís freestyle swimmer Kate Hunt í13. She has been one of a handful of talented first-years who have been major contributors in the teamís undefeated dual-meet season.

MY: Did you know coming into the year that you would be a significant contributor?

KH: I had talked to some of the other first-years and swimmers, but I didnít really know what to expect. Iím really happy with how this season has gone, but I didnít expect to do as well as I have.

MY: What do you think has contributed most to your individual success?

KH: The coaching staff has definitely been the most helpful. I† never had coaches that paid as much attention to the little things as I have this year. My technique has really improved and working on my form with them has really improved my swimming.

MY: How has the experience of the team helped you through the season and in preparing for the NCAC Championship meet?

KH: Itís really nice having a team that wants to be there all the time. Back home I used to dread going to practice even though I really enjoyed swimming. I havenít hit the point where I donít want to be at practice in my time here. I want to be there all the time and having a team that is always working hard has been really helpful. Itís great having teammates around that are dedicated and will make me better ó it makes a big difference.

MY: Looking forward to the last dual-meet of the season, what are the teamís expectations?

KH: Itís going to be a really tough meet. Itís a really big one for us going forward and I think it will be really close. I feel like everyone has been working really hard for this last meet. After a little bit of a let down in practice I think we are starting to pick it up again.

MY: At the beginning of the season would you have predicted that this team could be undefeated in dual-meet action this late in the season?

KH: Honestly, probably not. I didnít realize how much depth our team really had on the womenís side coming into the year. We looked strong at the beginning of the season, but after we beat Wittenberg [University] in a really close meet I realized how strong the team really was. It has all sort of built from that point on.

MY: With the NCAC Championship meet right around the corner, what are your individual goals for what will be the biggest meet of your young college career?

KH: I havenít really thought about it. With the assurance of the coaching staff Iím confident that I will do well. Weíve all been working really hard this season and I am expecting to see it all come together at that meet. Iím hoping to have fun and enjoy it and not get too bogged down or preoccupied with the intensity of it. My main goal is to have strong relays and help the team succeed.

MY: With 15 underclassmen contributing greatly in the undefeated run, is this seasonís success only the beginning? What do you see as the ceiling for this team looking forward at your time at Wooster?

KH: We have a really strong first-year class that has contributed to the strength of the other classes. Across the board the girlís side is really improving. Weíve all gotten better this year and I think that the conference championship will really show people just how much theyíve improved this season. Looking forward, we will be confident and prepared. Hopefully with another good recruiting class we will continue to build and get better.