Often times I get so frustrated after standing in line at the Basics station for 10 minutes that Iíve wanted to kick the person in front of me. Luckily, Iím one of many other students who are also irked that Lowry dining hall is packed like sardines during the noon lunch rush.† Some have to forage for a single seat once they accomplish the adventure up the stairs. While I discourage any kicking or slapping in the cafeteria, something needs to be done to solve this situation.

While the new remodeling of the main floor of Lowry is stunning, money should have been allocated to an area of more importance first ñ Lowry Dining Hall. Whether it be new seating, rearrangements or tables, or even more remodeling, just about anything could improve this state of affairs.

With the recent closing of Kittredge Dining Hall, students have been funneled into a single cafeteria to gulp down their mass-produced food, especially during lunch time.† First of all, the simple fact that people donít have places to sit is ridiculous. Yes, a bar was installed on the East side of the cafeteria last year, allowing a handful of extra seats, but it was not nearly enough.

New seating and rearrangements should be made. I donít know about you, but I consider battling my way through occupied chairs and strewn book bags to be an unwanted intense event, especially when hands are tied up with bowls and loose silverware. Itís as if weíre all back in high school, dodging and darting about in an effort to be first in line on macaroni and cheese day.

Perhaps the front of the Lowry building could be relieved of hallways and rooms, and this new space could be used as an addition to the cafeteria itself. Yes, the staff dining would have to be relocated to another location, but if you see the herd of students migrating into the building at 11:50 a.m., you will agree that it would be worth the effort.

Another option to work out these circumstances would be to re-open Kittredge Dining Hall.† I personally hear at least one person a week reminisce about Kittredgeís ìno fry zone.” While not nearly as bad as other colleges and universities, a great deal of Lowry food has an effect on the body after ingesting it (details unnecessary) for every meal during the week. No offense to Lowry workers, but many other students also feel that Lowry food should be improved.

Students are not only tempted to avoid Lowry because of the food quality, but also to avoid the crowded conditions. Charlie Fanelli í12, said ìThis year I go to Momís way more now than I used to, just to avoid Lowry.”

While the College has been beautifying its campus with the project on Beall Ave., remodeling Lowry and renovating Babcock Hall, its food services are in dire need of coming up to par as well.

For the rate of tuition that we pay to attend this fantastic college, we should at least have the options of quality food and a place to dine in peace.

Emily Bartelheim is a first-time contributor to the Voice. She can be reached for comment at EBartelheim12@wooster.edu