In 2009, Kevin Carpenter and Kipaya Kapiga began to review non-chain restaurants in the Wooster Community. Now, in 2010, the new decade finds Carpenter and Kapiga continuing their quest for culinary perfection in their traditional, humorous bantering. This week’s adventure led them to a eatery known as Olde Jaol Tavern and Restaurant.

KC: This place reminded me of a hunting lodge way up in the Rocky Mountains — not that I’ve ever been to a place like that.

KK: Yeah, it definitely felt like I could eat a very satisfying and hearty meal and immediately walk out and shoot a deer.

KC: Let’s not go quite that far, although I see where you’re coming from. The wooden furniture with forest green tables, overarching wooden support beams in the ceiling, dark wood paneling and soft lighting gave you that “lodgy” feel. I wish it was warmer out so that we could sit out on the nice patio. That would be superb.

KK: To be fair, it looked a lot like most Chili’s, Uno’s and Applebee’s I’ve been to. It has a lot of the faux hunting memorabilia on the walls, but at least they’re consistent. In fact, the only weird thing about it was the persistent list of 80s music in the background.

KC: What is this supposed hunting Applebee’s you’ve been to? Applebee’s is a friendly neighborhood restaurant with neighborhood memorabilia.

KK: Setting the furniture and music aside, the service was fast, though clearly helped by the fact that there were only 10 or 12 other people in the restaurant — and it was lunch time.

KC: It’s true. Although the restaurant wasn’t full during our lunch, the waitress was quick, kind and efficient, even having a litany of items to recommend to the hungry Kipaya.

KK: Although the Executioner’s Chicken Sandwich was very tempting, I opted for the Chipotle Burger, with the biggest side of onion rings I’ve ever seen. They kind of remind me of those hoop earrings that some girls wear.

KC: Probably a little more tasty, though.

KK: Certainly; they were decent. I really liked eating them with the side of baked beans they gave us. The smoked hickory flavor of the beans seemed to go along well with the crisp rings. The burger was hearty and satisfying. It had a rich buttery sauce, but some of the flavor got lost in the size of the burger. I didn’t notice the chipotle at all. The pink lemonade I ordered tasted like they just took a lemon wedge and squeezed it into the water.

KC: So, would you say you enjoyed the burger then, or no?

KK: Yes, I did enjoy the burger — it was filling — and it got a little better after I added the ketchup.

KC: Good. Well, I enjoyed my reuben as well. The meat was stacked high and had a fresh taste to it. As I have mentioned in previous reviews, I love hot food. Really, really love it. It means the food was cooked fresh and wasn’t sitting around. This food was hot. Also, I am in love with the fact that each meal comes with a small side of baked beans. As Kipaya mentioned, they had a nice tangy taste to them, and could work deliciously as either a sauce or as a small side. Speaking of sides, I substituted fries for a Caesar side salad, which was very well prepared. The romaine was fresh, the cheese and dressing not overwhelming. It was also bigger than I had anticipated as a side salad. Overall, I was very happy with my meal.

KK: The meal was satisfying. So satisfying that I doubt I could go out and shoot a deer now. I’d much rather take a nap.

KC: I’m not sure we’ve talked enough about service, Kip. It was good. We had a delicious and filling meal in under an hour without being rushed. I tipped very well.

KK: Without my tip, I paid $11.45 for my meal, which again was a Chipotle Burger, a side of onion rings, and my watery and uninspired lemonade.

KC: I paid just under $11 for my reuben, a substituted side salad, and my water. Could I have gotten this somewhere else for cheaper? Yes. But would my experience have been the same? Probably not. Let’s rank it, Kip.

To find out the scales Kipaya and Kevin use to rate restaurants, read more about the authors, or read previous reviews visit www.thewoostervoice.com/about-the-town.