On Tuesdays and Thursdays at 9:30 a.m., Iím on the third floor of Morgan, wide awake and engaged in a compelling discussion ó African-American literature. The readings and discussions have made me incredibly aware of two things ó the progress we have made as a cohesive nation, and the remnants of slavery and racism in America.

Those privileged enough to ignore the shameful truth, may blissfully believe that by electing a black president we have proven that all racial prejudices no longer exist. While knowing that I helped to make Barack Obama the leader of my country means more to me than I have the time to write right now, I know that there is much work to be done before the United States can call itsself a predominantly tolerant nation. In Hammond, La., Justice of the Peace Keith Bardwell is living evidence that miscegenation was basically illegal just the other day. Loving vs. Virginia took place a mere fifty years ago and apparently some of us still wholeheartedly believe people should only be permitted to marry within their own races.

Beth Humphrey, a 30 year-old white woman and Terence Mckay, a 32 year-old black male were denied a marriage license specifically because† they are an interracial couple. Humphrey told the newspaper that she called Keith Bardwell on the Oct. 6, 2009 to ask about getting a marriage license signed. According to her, Bardwellís wife ó oh the irony ó told her that Bardwell ìwill not sign marriage licenses for interracial couples.”

I think that humanityís deadliest skill is its ability to disregard the humanity of others. This is the tragedy that made slavery possible in America, the tragedy that made the Holocaust possible in Germany, the tragedy that made apartheid possible in South Africa ó that facilitates all racial oppression. When a citizen is able to look at another citizen and immediately feel that based on race or some other inadequate standard, they generally know what will come about in that personís life, we as a nation have a serious problem. Bardwell claims that he does not marry interracial couples because he is worried about the futures of any children the couples might have. He says that after several discussions with both blacks and whites, and after witnessing some interracial marriages, he has ìcome the conclusion that most of black society does not readily accept offspring of such relationships, and neither does white society.”

I am a black girl, surrounded by people who, (as actor Michael Richards, aka Kramer from Sienfeld, so crassly put it) couldíve had me hanging upside down from a tree less than one century ago. Whether or not the people around me would ever do something so cruel is irrelevant. The point is that they would have been able to, and as educated college students, we are all aware of it. Do I think about it? Of course. I often pause to think of the injustices that my friends ancestors imposed on my own. If we forget our past, we are bound to repeat it, and I donít think any of us here at the College want to take any steps backwards. So yes, I do remember, and yes there may be awkward moments sometimes because of my inherited memories. Does this mean that I should be denied acceptance into this community? I clearly deserve to be here because I am, but should that be overlooked because itís not easy? Shouldnít students whoíve been raised by racist parents be allowed to come to a liberal diverse school and learn how to think for themselves? If Bardwellís logic is sound, then how would progress ever take place? Of course white and black communities will have to adjust as interracial couples bring more and more children of mixed races into this country. This is how we move forward ó we make people uncomfortable. We tried ìseparate but equal” before. It does not work, on any level, ever. And whatís the point of being united if we donít want to be bothered?

Even though he ìdoesnít believe in mixing races that way,” Keith Bardwell insists that he is not a racist. He told the press, ìI have piles and piles of black friends. They come to my home, I marry them, they use my bathroom. I treat them just like everyone else.” He claims that itís simply been his experience that interracial couples do not last very long. Of course, I could say, since he is the first one Iíve ever heard of, that itís been my experience that all Louisiana justices of the peace are prejudiced criminals, but thatís just if I were to follow his logic.

ìA justice of the peace is legally obligated to serve the public, all of the public,” says Bill Quigley, director for the Center of Constitutional Rights and Justice. ìRacial discrimination has been a violation of Louisiana and U.S. law for decades. No public official has the right to pick and choose which laws they are going to follow.” Humphrey and McKay were married later by another justice of the peace but are still looking into legal action against Bardwell.

Bill Burton said, ìIíve found that the children of interracial couples can do pretty good.” Bill Burton is the press secretary for Barack Obama, child of a black man from Kenya and a white woman from Kansas ó and president of these progressive United States of America.

Brandelle Knights is a regular contributor to the Voice. She can be reached for comment at BKnights12@wooster.edu.