Wooster Alum Patrick Grab í09 has a made a unique career for himself. He has started a business of sports illustration, capturing athletes in action with his pencil. The Voice asked him a few questions to see how his experience at Wooster influenced his artistic and entrepreneurial aspirations.

Who were your influences when you were developing your talents as an artist?

My main influence was art teacher at my high school Cathedral Prep. He was an excellent teacher and a great role model. He was a very accomplished artist in my hometown, Erie, Pa.

You paint from photographs, correct? Do you also paint from live models?

I do not paint. People commonly use painting to describe all artwork. I draw with graphite pencils and use photographs as a reference for my work. This is how I discovered the realistic quality of my drawings, so I basically just stuck with that type of work. I have drawn from live models before, but only in classes. I prefer working from photographs

How did your time at Wooster impact your outlook on art, or shape your career choices?

My time at Wooster helped me take a look into many other areas of study and in fact helped shape those. However, it also made me realize that I truly wanted to use my natural abilities as an artist to earn a living.

What was your Independent Study about exactly?

My I.S. was ìPhoto-Realism Portrait Drawings – A Look into the Younger Generation of American Professional Tennis Players.” My project involved traveling to Florida and California to take photographs of Sam Querrey and Jesse Levine while practicing. I then used the photographs to use as references for drawing their portraits. It was exactly what my career is as a professional sports artist. My paper was about relating their lives as accomplished professional athletes to that of any ordinary person.

What advice would you give to aspiring artists or business people?

My best advice for any aspiring artist or an aspiring business person is to do what you are truly passionate about and not listen to the majority of people who will try to bring you down. What someone is willing to do today that others are not, one will do things tomorrow that others cannot. My favorite quote that goes along with my message is from Steven Jobs: ìYour work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe to be great work. And the only way to do great work is to do what you love.”

What has surprised you most about your job?

The one thing that surprises me most about my job is the compliments I receive from such accomplished athletes. Brady Quinn telling me ìyou really have an amazing talent,” or Sam Querrey saying ìI wish I had your talent.” This coming from guys I watch on TV every week and being adored by fans is pretty special.

Why portraits of sports players?

I have always been drawn to sports art because I have been an athlete my whole life. I discovered my drawing abilities after I completed an art project drawing from a photograph my junior year of high school. I couldnít believe what I created, and neither could the football players in school. So they started requesting me to draw one of their favorite photographs. From there, I saw the type of demand and interest athletes have in my work so I continued to pursue it, particularly trying to meet college and professional athletes and showing my work. Another key factor was knowing that professional athletes can afford to spend several thousands on this type of work, which can make it a true profession.

What is your favorite medium?

My favorite medium is certainly graphite pencil drawings. Recently I have added colored pencils to small parts of the drawing to highlight a particular object, like the skates on Olympic speed skater Allison Baver.

Which artists have influenced you?

One artist that has influenced my career a lot is Celebrity Sports Artist Kevin-John Jobczynski. His successful career drawing athletes has given me inspiration and a great reason to believe I can do the same.