Last month, I had the opportunity to see rapper Immortal Technique at the Grog Shop in Cleveland. For those unfamiliar with him, Immortal Technique is a self-described hardcore Independent rapper known most for his politically oriented lyrics and active resistance of corporate music labels. His professional life is dedicated both to music and political activism; he speaks out regularly on issues such as corruption in the government, racism and social class disparities. As a fan of Hip Hop, I have listened to him a fair amount, but am not particularly well-versed in his music; his style is a little too, well, angry for my personal taste. But I have always respected the way he has used his visibility as a platform to inform the public about important social issues. I went to this show in part for research for my Senior I.S., but I also thought it would just be just a great show. The actual experience, however, was quite different from my expectations.

After a lack-luster opener, Immortal Technique took the stage. He spoke to the crowd as much as he rapped to us; talking about his loathing for American government and its oppression of Third World countries. However, what came next, I wasnít as prepared for ó one particular introduction to a song, in which he described his experience with corporate music labels. Apparently, he was approached by a label looking to put out his album ìRevolutionary, Vol. 2″ on the condition that he take off one of the songs for its content. His response, as told to the crowd, was, ìYou want me to take off a song? How about this: how about you let me [have sex with] your wife, and Iíll take the song off.” †To this, the crowd cheered in agreement. I, however, did not share this sentiment. Here he was, claiming to be this enlightened, earnest voice of the people, speaking out against oppression and discrimination, and yet he was equating the property value of this one song he had written to this executiveís wife, who apparently, as this manís property, was equally expendable. What makes him think she would even want to take part in this?†Where is her say in the matter?

I am aware that this comment was meant more for emphasis than actual intention, and through my own familiarity with rap music, I am also aware that misogyny and sexism run rampant within this genre. From just about any other rapper, I probably wouldnít have been surprised. However, this man claims to be a revolutionary, a free thinker, but ironically, throughout his entire show, he continued to reinforce this tough rebel image through his treatment of women as objects. Now I realize that it can be hard to stay on the straight and narrow; I see contraditions in my own actions at times, even as I strive to be a socially conscious individual. No one is perfect. My qualms, however, have more to do with this manís blatant disregard for the contradictions between his opinions and his actions, and his failure to recognize that his ignorant comments perpetuate the system of oppression that he so strives to fight against. He even made a little speech at the end of his show about how fake rappers are today, and the importance of ëwalking the talkí and actually living the life you rap about.

Perhaps itís naive of me, but I honestly felt a little cheated, annoyed that I had believed that this man stood for something important. Perhaps thatís not fair; his concern for government accountability and the welfare of the impoverished are certainly commendable. I suppose I was just left feeling disappointed that rights and respect of women arenít good enough for a man who fights for freedom.† So Iím left wondering; how do we approach situations such as these? I feel conflict about the fact that a genre of music I love so much is so fraught with patriarchal ideologies that I stand strongly against. To what standard should we hold ourselves and the musicians we enjoy? I have no idea. I think that, as educated individuals, it is important for us to be critical of both ourselves and those who influence us, and not allow social norms to call the shots on what we deem appropriate and important.

Julia Dann volunteered this column to the Voice. She can be reached for further comment at JDann10@wooster.edu